Asked on May 25, 2015

Burning candles in glass jars on stovetop

by SusieJen
I sometimes burn my jar candles in the center of the top of my gas stove. My Mother in Law saw this and told me how dangerous it is. Is this true? I've seen many people do it before and I always have with no problems.
  9 answers
  • Kim Kilmer Kim Kilmer on May 25, 2015
    I don't see how this could be dangerous unless you had a gas leak.
  • LCGPetrey LCGPetrey on May 25, 2015
    I agree w/ Kim.
  • Julie Benson-Grant Julie Benson-Grant on May 25, 2015
    Did you ask your MIL how it is dangerous? Seems to me it would be one of the safest ways to burn candles, some place designed for fire and hot stuff!
  • Paul Gauthier Paul Gauthier on May 25, 2015
    It is not dangerous whatsoever. Your stove looks modern. I am sure you don't leave them burning when nobody is home. If there is a gas leak you may burn your kitchen because of the ignition source being so close to the leak, BUT, if you do have a gas leak and an ignition source is distant from the leak, your house will blow up if it is not noticed. Most of the modern gas stoves do NOT have a pilot. In my 47 years in the fire service I have witnessed many houses that have blown up. If you are worried about any gas leaking in your house there are 2 ways to do it. The cheapest way to do it is to get a bottle of kids bubble soap and a 1 inch paintbrush. Swab every connection you can find and watch for bubbling. Or you can call your local gas company and have them check your entire house from the outside meter to every appliance that is powered by gas or propane.
  • Rebecca Ferree Rebecca Ferree on Oct 09, 2017

    Actually, it can be dangerous if you're not careful. If the glass gets too hot, it will implode and spray hot wax everywhere. Trust me, I still have a scar from flying glass

  • Emily Emily on Dec 20, 2017

    Paul, thanks for that great hint. However my daughter has a gas stove and it does have a pilot light, I think it would be dangerous to burn a candle on that stove. A house on the street behind us blew up and it did not have any gas in it. What happened is that a utility working in the street near this house somehow caused gas to escape and it followed a path which led into the house. When the pilot light for the oil furnace went on. BOOM went the house.

    • William William on Dec 20, 2017

      Rare occurrence and didn't have anything to do with a candle.

  • William William on Dec 20, 2017

    I hope she isn't trying to interfere in your lifestyle. Not dangerous at all. Best place to burn a candle. Metal stove base, range hood. Even if you had a pilot light and it did go out the amount of gas escaping is so minimal. You'd smell it before anything would happen.


    Yes it is dangerous, why because the pilot flame under the top of the stove top could cause a fire.

  • Deb K Deb K on Dec 11, 2022

    Hello Susiejen, hope this helps you out. It's just as safe as burning it on any other surface on the house, if your mother in-law is worried about gas leaks, tell her not to worry, gas stoves are not know to just start leaking.