What can I do? My freezer is frosted and has icicles forming!

+4

Recently my upright freezer is frosted and icicles are forming. How can I keep my freezer from frosting and forming ice?

• Gloria Gloria on May 30, 2018
    You seem to have a problem with your seal. See if it can be replaced.

• Dfm Dfm on May 30, 2018
    Take every thing out put in coolers and seal the lid to the cooler with tape. Keeps the cold in. Defrost the freezer. Use a hair dryer and a dish pan under the drips. Clean all surfaces. Set the temp for the freezer, check hourly progress To cold. When cold restock. Examine the seal...put a piece of paper in the doorway, shut the door. How hard is it to pull out? Not hard, a baby could pull it out? Replace the seal.

• Mogie Mogie on May 30, 2018
    Is this a frost free freezer that has frosted? Have you checked your owner's manual concerning this problem? Call the manufacturer.

• Betsy Betsy on May 30, 2018
    Two questions, first, is it a self defrosting freezer and secondly, do you over crowd your freezer? You should have at least an inch or more of free space around the sides and top of all shelving. Otherwise, the air can't circulate. Open the door and put a dollar bill on the seal that's on the fridge, near the top. Close the door and tug on the bill. Do this all around the seal. If it slips out easily, then your seal isn't tight. You can try to fluff up the door seal by heating it with a hair dryer and pulling on it lightly, where the bill slipped out easily. If you have to get a new seal, lift the edge of the old seal and see if it's the type with screws to hold it on. They are so easy to replace. Then, when, and if, you get a new seal, on occasion, wipe it down with a light coat of Vaseline. That will keep it soft. Hopefully, it's not a condenser problem. If you can monitor the temp, keep it around 18 or 19 degrees Fahrenheit or -7.78 celsius or a bit colder. Make sure nothing is keeping the door from closing tightly. Good luck.

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Mar 25, 2022

Hi Chris. A lot of people don't know about it, it's one of those 'old folks tricks' :) I'm very happy that it helped you. What did you end up doing? New seal or heating it up? Regardless, do put the light coat of Vaseline on the seal and wipe down the area on the fridge where the seal sits, so it's clean and dry. And, you are welcome. That's what we're here for :)