How to cover this hole

The previous tenants told us that a radiator used to go there. I don't have a use for this connection so I want to cover it. How do I do it? It's about 4 inches wide (the closeup makes it look bigger). It would be great if the product I use would also serve the purpose of covering wall and floor cracks (all cement). I'm assuming some kind of paste, sand it once dry, and then paint? I'm not in the US so please no brand recommendations since they don't exist here. Thanks in advance, we're moving to this apartment soon, so a lot more questions coming!
q how to cover a big hole in the wall, home maintenance repairs, how to
  20 answers
  • Drywall spackle will work. Or plaster. put in hole, let dry sand and paint. It will take a short while to dry because of depth of hole. Perhaps fill half way first, let dry then finish with 2nd coat. The surface texture will not match exactly because of finished paint surface But prime and paint it should blend in nicely.

  • Mrs Pollite Mrs Pollite on Feb 04, 2015
    Thank you so much,plaster is what I can buy.Will it work for filling in cracks as well?

  • Larry Chura Larry Chura on Feb 04, 2015
    Behind any home improvement store, you will find pieces of broken drywall. Get one and cut a plug that is about 1/8" larger. You might have to trim the hole to make it all fit neatly. Tap the plug in and scrape off the ceiling texture around the affective area. Using sections of drywall tape, apply a skim with the tape to cover the joints. When dry, texture the repaired area and paint to match when it has all dried. Larry Chura Oregon, USA

  • Stacy | BlakeHillHouse Stacy | BlakeHillHouse on Feb 04, 2015
    Plaster will work too. It is just wetter than drywall spackle. I agree with Larry. If you can find an old piece of drywall to take up some of the space, that would be best. Otherwise, it will take several layers of plaster. On your last layers, drag a wet sponge over it to blend it in with the textured wall. You can use the plaster patch for cracks. The layer you use will be thinner, and drag your wet sponge over your work to blend it in with the texture you already have. Otherwise, your walls will look like they have scars all over them. Keep in mind that plaster cracks will keep reappearing because they are a by-product of the plaster actually pulling away from the wood lathe behind. If you own this apartment, there are ways to permanently repair plaster. If you are renters, I say just keep covering up the cracks as recommended.

  • Wendy Myers Wendy Myers on Feb 04, 2015
    I used to fill hole like this with tightly crumpled newspaper and then spackle over that. Sand and paint.

  • Christina Christina on Feb 04, 2015
    Here's an idea using wire screen, a pencil, some string, drywall compound, and sandpaper:

  • Mrs Pollite Mrs Pollite on Feb 04, 2015
    Thank you very much for all the suggestions!

  • LoriKindler LoriKindler on Feb 04, 2015
    If you don't have drywall to patch, try using some stiff tape to cover the hole first. It may be a bit tricky, but if you can tape it inside on either side of the hole, you will keep the gas line available, should it ever be needed. It doesn't have to be perfectly covering the entire hole. If you can do this you will have an easier "base" for the plaster to adhere to and use less of the stuff while decreasing drying time too. In the US my husband has used this tape that looks like the stuff hospitals use as casts for broken arms. For medium sized holes like this (and in areas where we aren't going to be hanging anything) this has worked like a charm

  • Barb Burnham Barb Burnham on Feb 04, 2015
    Get a hole patch kit from Home Depot. Typically they are put together for when door knobs go thru the wall. But perfect for your situation.

  • Joe Howell Joe Howell on Feb 04, 2015
    Get a small bag of mortar mix. Fill hole, then sand it when it's partly set. The sand in the mortar will match the texture of your plaster wall.

    • See 1 previous
    • Barb Burnham Barb Burnham on Feb 08, 2015
      Without something over the hole to hold the compound you could be using bags and bags of mixture as it fills up the basement (for example). You must put something like fiberglass mesh over the hole before beginning to patch it.

  • Jan Munroe Jan Munroe on Feb 04, 2015
    Get a can of spray insulation, spray in hole. let dry and cut the excess of and finish with spackle or drywall mix.

  • Bonnie Spielman Bonnie Spielman on Feb 05, 2015
    This is the best stuff ever made for so many things. It dries hard, doesn't shrink, is paintable. I use it for so many different things.

  • Liz hayward Liz hayward on Feb 05, 2015
    stuff it with newspaper and use wall filler like pollyfilla. i prefer the ready made stuff from wilkinsons. the 1st time it might sink slightly when dry but u can go over it if needed. quick, easy and cheap :)

  • Mrs Pollite Mrs Pollite on Feb 05, 2015
    Thanks again everyone. Since I'm not the owner and he is not interested in getting it fixed,I won't make the effort of trying to match the texture.I just want it to stop being such an eyesore.You have all been very helpful!

  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Feb 05, 2015
    You could wrap the pipe with gauze or material to help prevent reactions, vac the hole well, paint in some white glue, and then add some to your concrete mix. The texture will be more the same and be tougher than drywall compound, especially for a floor. Keep your receipts and try to get the landlord to compensate you.

  • Grady Grady on Feb 05, 2015
    Use Stucco. It should work.

  • Jackie Webb Jackie Webb on Feb 06, 2015
    theres some stuff you can buy in a spray type can thats a foam that drys solid. you let it dry then cot of all excess with a craft knife can then paint over it

  • Paula Paula on Feb 07, 2015
    You can buy a drywall patch at Home Depot. Very simple to use, just takes a few coats of filler. Sand after each application is dry, may take a couple of coats. Once that is done, you can paint it. There is even a dry wall patch that comes with filler on it, you just wet it and appy. You will still need to to put a few coats of filler on. We just fixed a hole in our wall and it looks great, can't tell it was ever there.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 12, 2021

    If the sale has not completed yet, ask that the wall be reinstated and damage corrected by previous owner before you take possession.