Wallpaper removal

+3
What is the best way to remove wallpaper that's been on the wall for many years? I tried with scoring the wall and using warm water, ended up removing part of the drywall.

• Jary Jary on Dec 10, 2017
    You could probably rent a wall paper steamer from your local hardware store which will soften the wall paper so you can scrape it off. It's a messy job and have towels to help catch the water before it hits your floor.

• Steam it! Since you have the scoring tool, you just need to rent the steamer. Here is a great link.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 10, 2017
    We’ve had great success with the paper tiger wall paper perforator tool and spray on wallpaper remover products similar to these

• Pjo26908388 Pjo26908388 on Dec 10, 2017
    Hi Mary,

Yiu are heading in the right direction. Scoring and hot water are a great place to start and the easiest and cheapest too. Let it sit so the paper loosens up and carefully use a flat metal scraper. Continue to keep it wet. There are wall paper remover solvents so that is a option. Some wallpaper comes off easily and other just won't budge.

Don't be too concerned with chippy sheetrock. That can be mudded and damp sponged to fill holes. Then it will be fresh and clean to paint.

• Lindy Lindy on Dec 10, 2017
    I have a friend who swears by using fabric softener and a bit of water

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 10, 2017
    If the wall paper has vinyl coating or real shiny, you may need to try to get it off first so that anything you put on to soak will get to the back paper and adhesive. I replace paper that was up on an entry wall that was actually contact paper and had to pull of the top in order to get anything in. I used a clothes steamer to get the rest off with good luck.