What do I do to get rid of black mold and a sewer spill?

There was a spill that affected my bedroom, bath, closet and my hall, foyer, family room, and another bath and closet. With an open floor plan, a lot of damage can be done. All of the flooring, except my closet and bedroom, is large white tile. Some of the walls are paneling and some are drywall. All of the paneling must go and the drywall up to the four foot level. All of the tile must go. Ideas, please. Help, help. I need encouragement. House is built on a concrete slab. Cleaning service came in and cleaned, but repairs have not been made. I need to move back in. Thanks in advance.

• Who is at fault? What does your homeowners insurance provide? Depending on the policy, even if they deny the claim, which they do a lot, you can appeal it.

If city is culpable, they are paying for this. Making a claim and suing them is a long messy process, hire an attorney. Not cousin Harry that wrote up your will, but an experienced environmental attorney. Mold and sewage is a specialized field.

Document every single move you make, photos, photos, photos, date, time and place. Get rid of anything (but hang onto it as evidence), that needs to be ripped out.

Be very careful hiring contractors, there a millions of fly by night shysters out there preying on people in distress. Do not fall into their hands. Here is how to hire a contractor:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0242-hiring-contractor

As much as it sucks, just get the place clean and move back in even if the place is still in construction mode if you have no where else to go. Again, check your homeowners policy. You can rebuild while still living there. May not be pleasant but it can be done. Just remind yourself that the situation is temporary and it will have an end date.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jul 16, 2018

Here's something I just learned yesterday: "Both distilled white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide will do an effective job of killing mold spores in porous materials. Bleach can only kill mold on non-porous surfaces, as it does not penetrate porous surfaces; so mold roots are left to grow again."

Rip out everything that needs to be ripped out and then clean thoroughly using vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. Make sure and protect yourself as you go, purchase a good mask and a painter's suit. You should be good to put it back together then! Good luck I'm so sorry to hear about what happened!

• 16999903 16999903 on Jul 16, 2018

Marcia....eeek! My heart goes out to you. I may not be the best one to answer because I've dealt with something similar in a townhouse. When it comes to black mold and sewer spills, please call a mold remediator or professional to at least assess the damage. Depending on the type of mold, will determine the clean up. Take care and good luck!