Plug stuck to extension cord ?

+10
I have an old countertop oven plugged into a three pronged heavy duty extension cord . I received a new oven for Christmas . My problem is the old ovens plug is stuck to the extension cord , which I plan to use again, because it's a good one. Does anyone have a trick to get them apart?

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 27, 2017
    Hi there, make sure it is unplugged first, then a small screw driver between the plugs, tipping it back and forth, will get them a part eventually.

• Ken Ken on Dec 27, 2017
    I believe that you are referring to a toaster oven, right? And the extension cord is short, like maybe 3 or 6 feet? Stuck is not something I would expect or have seen and it tells me that it is probably melted. A new appliance extension cord can be had for less than ten bucks. Don't burn you house down for ten bucks. The old extension cord may have been a good one but it has turned bad on you.

• Liz Liz on Dec 27, 2017
    concur with Ken

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 27, 2017
    I agree with Grandmas House DIY. Please make sure the extension cord is unplugged and use a screw driver to loosen it. Make sure the plug is ok once you get them unstuck. Most appliances are not supposed to use an extension cord as there are dangers involved. Not all extension cords are made for the amount of electricity some appliances use. Make sure it handles what the oven requires.

• See 2 previous
    • Andrea Leigh Ella Andrea Leigh Ella on Apr 01, 2021

yeah burn down their house :D

• William William on Dec 27, 2017
    I also agree with GandmasHouseDIY! Hopefully plug is just stuck to the outside of the cord. Sometimes one or two prongs can get stuck inside the cord and it would be useless. There are holes in the prongs that catch "nubs" in the cord. Sometimes those nubs can jam and won't release. If there was any melting as Ken assumes you would notice it.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Apr 01, 2021

If this were my setup, I would get rid of the cord/appliance combo and replace it with a new energy efficient appliance and plug it directly into the wall. If it is fused, I would not trust it.

• Barbara Bunch Barbara Bunch on Nov 23, 2021

I have a heater and I got to finish a card that has both stuck together and I can't get them loose

My heater is stuck to the extension cord and I can't get it loose

• Teresa Mathias Teresa Mathias on Jan 29, 2022

Check out GrandmasHouseDIY answer above. it works. My steam mop plug was stuck in an extension cord and I used the screwdriver method and got it out. Thanks for the tip GrandmasHouseDIY!