Why do contractors neglect using quality electrical materials?

+1
Our home, built in 1997, which we purchased this past June of 2017, had switches and outlets that sparked and at times switches that did not work. After removing the covers I found wires that were not connected because the plastic had deteriorated and the wires were not connected to the screws but instead pushed into the tiny hole behind the unit.

Not a fan of the quick and easy way of installing the wires! Cheap materials and substandard installation is not acceptable especially when safety is concerned. Do not expect even new construction to be safe just because it’s new!

Have qualified trade people you trust to double check contractor work, the money spent then will save you peace of mind as well as cash!

• Well . . . I can tell horror stories for days. There are always a few rotten apples that spoil the basket. Same goes in the construction trade. Even if someone purchases a brand new home, hire your own inspector and do your due diligence. When building tracts, the inspectors do not inspect each house, they check random structures. Then sign off for that particular inspection on the entire tract of homes. You do not want to end up with the lazy day work done on it. Exactly why construction defect lawsuits are rampant.

• Sandra M. Willis Sandra M. Willis on Dec 31, 2017
    It's cheaper to use cheap materials. It is all about the bottom line.

• William William on Dec 31, 2017
    I agree! It's all about the bottom line. The sub contractors do what the architect blue prints, builder, and General contractor say. As long as the work passes codes. Some will just tightrope the codes others go above and beyond the codes. Always a bad apple in the basket. As a former home builder I can write volumes of horror stories. None of which were mine.

• Dolores DeLuise Dolores DeLuise on Dec 31, 2017
    You've got to be on their case 24/7. I had a major renovation done about 20 years ago that included kitchen and three bathrooms. I picked out a particular shower spray to be installed in two showers and one tub. The contractor happened to have one that was similar but not the one I wanted (it wasn't new), and insisted on installing it "just for the time being." Wherever I saw it, I told him to remove it, so he would just switch it with one of the new ones and put it somewhere else. Over and over. When the job was completed, there was this shower head in my tub. I curse him every time I look at it. They all take shortcuts to save themselves money, even if you're on site and watching them like a hawk.