Restuffing attached saggy couch cushions

+1
Should I cut open the sides and insert foam or batting?? Going through the bottom I have to remove the springs😁.
q couch cushions restuffing saggy attached, decoupage, diy, My attached cushion faux leather couch
My attached cushion faux leather couch
  • Adrianne C Adrianne C on Aug 29, 2014
    I think the best thing is to figure out how it was put together to start with. I can assure you that they didn't try to sew that big cushion on a machine after it was stuffed! I would recommend flipping it over. Most likely it's stapled. If so, remove the staples and work from there. I wouldn't recommend cutting the stitches.

• Jeanette S Jeanette S on Aug 29, 2014
    I saw this question asked some time ago and I approached hubs about this problem. He said the back cover probably had to be taken off to have access to the cushions. I have one side of the leather sofa where the back cushion is saggy...but that is because it is where our big lab runs and crashes into it as we play our chase game with her! No need to bother to try and fix it, it would just get smashed again! HA!

• Louise Fulton Louise Fulton on Aug 29, 2014
    Try calling an upholsterer and asking him for info, he might just have an easy fix for you.

• PnnyG PnnyG on Aug 30, 2014
    I am an upholsterer and I can tell you we hate these kind of sofas. You can open the side seams and replace the cushions but you must then sew that faux leather closed - that is a very painful job that requires curved needles and special hand sewing thread or the whole thing will open up again. The way an upholsterer would deal with this is to remove the sofa outside back and outside arm panels to gain access to the cushions. We would then loosen the cushions from the frame by removing the back and side staples. Normally we would leave the front of the cushion intact. Then the inserts could be replaced through the fabric at the back and/or bottom of the cushion. The cushions would be stapled back into place and the outside back and outside arm panels replaced. Out here in CA, that would probably be a $200 labor charge, plus the new foam and Dacron which easily could run another $180. or so. Depending on what you spent on the sofa, it may not be worth it. Unless you purchase a good quality piece of furniture, most of them are meant to last 3 to 5 years at the most. The cushions always seem to be the first to go.