How can I repair a dresser drawer that won't stay closed?

Ron
by Ron
+4

my dresser drawer continually drifts open. There is no abuttment to attach a magnet as one suggested.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Sep 08, 2019

Are the dresser and the floor that it sits on both level? If either one cannot be levelled, then you may need to anchor the back of the dresser on to the wall to help prevent it from leaning slightly to the front. This can be done by screwing through the back of the dresser into the wall, or attaching L shaped plates to the sides of the dresser into the wall.

• Ron Ron on Sep 08, 2019

only one drawer drifts open. ?? [6 drawers in dresser]

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 08, 2019

Hello there,

It could be your floor is not level, try lifting the front of the dresser with a bit of cardboard under the legs. Hope that solves the problem!

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 08, 2019

Hey Ron: Maybe you have ghosts? :) Well, you could glue, or screw, a metal mending plate - about $.50 at Home Depot - to the inside back of the dresser and glue a couple low strength magnets to the back of the drawer. You can get the magnets at the Dollar Tree. They could be in something else and you may have to remove them to use them. By using a low strength, the drawer would stay closed and you wouldn't have to pull hard to open the drawer. Good luck

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 21, 2019

Hey Ron: I just thought of something. How about using some of that sticky back window/door weatherstripping and sticking it to the insides of the dresser, on each side, so it will grab the drawers a bit?

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 23, 2019

Hope that works:) Other than that, all I can think of is to lift the front of the dresser a bit so that gravity does it's thing:) Good luck