Asked on May 17, 2016

I need ideas for a recessed cabinet pull cover

by MamaSita
My particle board cabinet doors have routed recessed pulls. The cabinets are 30 + years old and I don't have the money right now to replace the doors or do a complete kitchen makeover. This is how it appears and it's pretty shabby looking. I looked for recessed cabinet pulls, thinking I could put it inside but the ones I have seen are too deep. I need ideas!
Kitchen Cabinet pull
  12 answers
  • Jeanne mac Jeanne mac on May 17, 2016
    Drill a good sized hole and put through a REAL rope tied at both ends-- inside the door and out
  • MN Mom MN Mom on May 17, 2016
    Even though they have recessed handles, you could attach regular knobs or handles. If these are in your kitchen I would use a product that won't absorb moisture, oils etc. something like a metal knob or piece.
  • William William on May 17, 2016
    If you mean to conceal the recess for visual appearance. Menards and Home Depot sell all kinds of premade utility moldings. My suggestion is to get some pine screen molding that is 1/4" x 3/4". You can glue it on the top of the doors and paint it close to the color of the doors. The recess will still be there, but it won't be seen. Then you can install door pulls of you choice. $3.84 for an 8' length at Menards.
  • JOHN JOHN on May 17, 2016
    you could possibly find a cabinet handle that "looks" like angle iron.... a 4-5" long piece, mounted on the back, would potentially cover the routed area and still give you something to "hold on to".....
  • Lynn Palmatier Lynn Palmatier on May 17, 2016
    You could paint your cabinets and glue a piece of wood cut to fill the recessed area natural finish or painted in an accent color and use new handles. They have templates that can help you to measure where you want new handles. it is hard to see how your existing handles, but you could also just paint the recessed part as an accent. If the cabinets are in good shape, they have cleaners you can use on wood cabinets and give them a coat of poly to brighten them up. You will need to lightly sand before the poly and steel wool between coats. Best to ask in a home improvement store to find the products and what to do.
  • Patricia Prinkey Patricia Prinkey on May 17, 2016
    Particle board is really hard to work with because of what it is-particles and glue. Once wet , it will usually fall apart. Watch how you do anything with particle board. My idea would be to go to lumber place and get some ideas about replacing the particle board with something else. Luan is one idea. You can really get a nice stain on one side of luan. Ease of use is great. I am a diy and luan is what I use in a lot of projects. Another idea would be pallets. This would involve tearing them apart, but the wood is nice and not uniform for staining which means unique. You might get oak, pine, etc that is why it is not uniform for staining. It would be durable.
  • Linda Santo Linda Santo on May 17, 2016
    They look like flat slab doors. What about turning them upside down, move the hinges to the other side. The recessed area would be out of sight. You could then use any handle you wanted.
  • Bessie Norland-O'Connor Bessie Norland-O'Connor on May 18, 2016 Check out this image on Lowe's website. It is an over the "door top" handle. The style may not be to your liking, but it may not be the only option of this type.
  • Bessie Norland-O'Connor Bessie Norland-O'Connor on May 18, 2016
    This is a better example of an over the door pull. The first one I posted to you wasn't really and over the door edge as I first thought, although it is possible it could work. This one shows it as over the door. Go to the site and you can see the picture. It is available in different finishes.
    • MamaSita MamaSita on May 19, 2016
      @Bessie Norland-O'Connor YES! after researching it I did find exactly what you posted. Over the door pull would be the best option. Thank you!!!
  • Sandra Sandra on May 18, 2016
    Can you ignore them and add new handles! Seems that easy to me.
  • MamaSita MamaSita on May 19, 2016
    No, I don't want handles period. My best option after researching it is top pulls.
  • MamaSita MamaSita on May 19, 2016
    great having so many people with terrific input that were so helpful.