We have a gas fireplace. Haven't used in 10 years. How do u light it?

+5
Answered
What precautions do we need to take before lighting it. How do we make sure the chimney doesn't catch fire? Is this a professional job?
 We are a little nervous!

  6 answers
  • Dfm Dfm on Jan 08, 2018
    have it inspected and cleaned. you dont want use it if rust or gunk has built up. find the lever that controls the gas shut off. mine at house 2 was on the out side. i must confess to missing that fire place. i could manually fire it up if the electric went out.

  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jan 08, 2018
    Get it checked out by professional.

  • Sharon Sharon on Jan 08, 2018
    I would hire a certified chimney sweep who are also able to make repairs, ask when you call if he's worked on gas fireplaces before. I would for sure get it inspected before trying to light.

  • Terry McGinn Terry McGinn on Jan 08, 2018
    call your gas company. They will come check it all out and lite it for you

  • Maynard Maynard on Jan 09, 2018
    Call your gas company, they will be more than happy to check out the gas lighting part of your fireplace. As for the chimney, I would recommend you have a professional chimney sweep company come out to clean and inspect the chimney. Fire is the least of the issues. Is there a bird's nest in the top? A friend of mine found out the hard way that a momma raccoon had birthed a litter up there! The sweep will clean and inspect it from top to bottom. They will also tell you if it needs relining, which happens eventually, as the mortar between the liner sections crumbles and disappears after time. That can't be prevented, as its a combination of all the heat/cold cycles, and rain. They have metal liners that get installed that hug the walls of the existing liner so theres no volume lost for drafting the fire place. But definitely call the gas co. about the gas! They will do it for free.

  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jan 09, 2018
    You definitely need to have the fire place inspected by a professional before even considering lighting it. There may be cracks in it which could cause a fire or gases to be released into the house.