After the roof leaked through our bedroom ceiling

There is an odor and my asthma forced me to move the bedroom into a different room. The landlord is having the roof repaired but I am concerned about possible mold, which I am allergic to. How can I find out if there is mold there? I can't afford expensive tests or removal services and I'm too poor to move out.
  8 answers
  • Karen hardin Karen hardin on Jun 17, 2017
    The landlord is responsible for all costs

  • William William on Jun 17, 2017
    Yep! Let the landlord know. It his job.

  • Karla Karla on Jun 17, 2017
    Landlord isn't worried about mold and plans to do as little as possible. I will first have to prove the mold exists to get any action from him. How can I get a test for mold that is accurate and affordable?

  • Lori Nunez Lori Nunez on Jun 17, 2017
    From a previous DIY I have posted the link for an article that has some DIY kits.

  • Cin21825342 Cin21825342 on Jun 17, 2017
    I had the same problem with my landlord several years ago. The home testing kits aren't very reliable. I finally bit the bullet and paid $350.00 to have my house professionally tested. It was worth the money as we used that information to end our lease when the landlord refused to remediate the issue.

  • Charly Charly on Jun 18, 2017
    The landlord is responsible. Call the city inspector.

  • Karla Karla on Jun 18, 2017
    Thanks to all who responded.

  • Norris720 Norris720 on Jun 18, 2017
    ThewitchskitchenHometalker - Mold is dangerous and with your medical condition it could be come worse. First I would contact the landlord and explain the situation and let him know you will be calling the City Building and Health Inspector. Then see what his reaction is. Nothing done, do not pay your rent. Open a saving account and place all your rent money in this account. File a small claims judgment against him for not making repairs. If you go to court you can prove you have all funds if he makes the repairs. This a long way to go but this will cause him to take action or let you out of your lease. Record all conversations in writing and send all notices to the landlord by register mail for him to sign when delivered. Look at Cindy768, you can tell the Landlord about this procedure.

    • See 1 previous
    • Virginia R Virginia R on Jun 18, 2017
      This is definitely the way to go to protect yourself. I also have similar health issues but even without them, mold is dangerous! I also have a negligent landlord and am withholding and depositing into a savings account some of my rent monies. They are called "Slumlords" and need to be made accountable.