My family room ceiling has dark unfinished wooden beams.

+3
They get so dusty. What would be the best and cheapest way
to refinish or resurface them? I was thīnking of painting
them, I'm not sure what would be easiest?

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Jan 03, 2018
    If they are unfinished, the cheapest, not easiest way would be to sand them smooth then either paint or seal them with a sealer. You might want to use a stain before you seal because you might sand off some of the stain that's currently there (depending on how deep it penetrated) If you don't sand them smooth, they will still collect dust, although it might be easier to get it off if they are finished even if you can't sand them smooth. The easiest would be to hire someone else to do it.  Wishing you the best!

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Jan 03, 2018
    Paint them and stain them - the easiest would be to stain and put a poly seal on top.

• Barbara Barbara on Jan 03, 2018
    i agree with Cindy.

• William William on Jan 03, 2018
    Paint, stain, or white wash. depending the effect you want. All techniques are easy and budget friendly.

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 03, 2018
    I would give them a light sand, and then use a polyacrylic top coat of clear varnish. But if you want them to blend into the ceiling, whitewash them or just paint the ceiling color.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Jan 03, 2018
    Use a good primer such as Zinsser Bullseye 123 and then paint.