My upstairs shower leaks!!

Do I need s general contractor or a plumber? my upstairs full bath leaks into my den. The tiles under the faucet spout seem to be on wet sheet rock. I've tried regrouping & caulking. Numerous times. if I had to take a guess, the bathroom needs to be ripped out down to the studs and replaced.
q do i need s general contractor or a plumber upstairs shower leaks
Wholr in ceiling in den.
  9 answers
  • William William on Jul 30, 2017
    First would be to fix the leak. I would enlarge the hole and look in the ceiling with a flashlight and locate what is leaking. It may be sometime minor. If you can't do it you would need a plumber. Once the repair is done then the wall and ceiling repair comes next. That you can do or hire someone to do it. This can be a handyman job and not necessarily a contractor. The wet drywall would need to be replaced but not everything would need to be gutted.

  • You need both! Sooner rather than later. You do not want to add mold issues to the problem.

  • Cathy Dillon Cathy Dillon on Jul 30, 2017
    I agree call the plumber first. Remember that a cell phone usually has a great flashlight( i always forget this) so you may be able to determine the source of the water problem yourself.

  • Melanie Melanie on Jul 30, 2017
    I am an avid DIYer but I would call a professional before it gets worse.

  • Patricia Patricia on Jul 30, 2017

  • Olive Greenz Olive Greenz on Jul 30, 2017
    ATTENTION EVERYONE. Call a company that will check your house for mold. If someone is allergic (look up ABPA) this could mean an early death. And once your lungs are affected they cannot be fixed. I think a leak should always be checked out by a professional plumber or construction person you trust. Good luck. After the leak and problem is fixed you will get an OK which means in some States you don't have to worry about selling your house.

  • Shirley Gilleland Shirley Gilleland on Jul 30, 2017
    You MUST first have a plumber repair the leak. Then replace a square of the sheetrock larger than the hole, using waterproof sealant or tape after bedding with sheetrock bedding tape, before painting over the seams. I hope this helps.

  • Ginny Ginny on Jul 31, 2017

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Sep 29, 2021

    You need both! Sooner rather than later. You do not want to add mold issues to the problem