I have a toilet that leaks, I replaced the flapper twice, what to do?

+2
  • Kelly-n-Tony Kelly-n-Tony on Sep 19, 2018

If it's leaking at the floor it's the wax seal that needs replaced.

• Charlie Charlie on Sep 19, 2018

It is leaking in the tank, through the flapper.I believe the rim may have a burr on it, and the flapper isn’t sealing, letting the water to escape.

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 20, 2018

Hi Cob: There are a couple of things you can do. One, be sure that the flapper is the correct size. It may be too big or too small. I recommend using a rubber flapper, the red ones, instead of those plastic ones. They just don't sit well. Then, check the chain. You may have it too short and it's pulling the flapper up, or too long and the chain is sliding under the flapper. There should be a little play in the chain, but not so much that it will slide under the flapper when it relaxes, but short enough that it pulls the flapper up enough to flush. Put the flapper in the drain hole, put the chain into the flush rod and let it drape on the flapper a bit. Secure it and then push on the flush handle and see how high the flapper raises. It should come about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way up. Then, let the tank fill, and flush. Take a look to see if it's flushing properly and the chain doesn't go under the flapper. If it's good, then fine. If not, adjust the chain accordingly, a little longer, a little shorter. It's sort of a check and see thing. Good luck.

• Patti Nicholas Patti Nicholas on Oct 11, 2018

Betsy, hit the nail on the head. Most of the time if the flapper is leaking it has more to do with the fact it’s plastic not rubber and the chain is not quite right. Some other steps to take while you’re working on it though be sure the tank is sitting correctly and doesn’t wobble at all, if it wobbles the flapper can dislodge as well, as can the rubber gasket between the tank and the base which will cause leaks onto the floor. You can tighten the tank with the bolts underneath, but don’t over tighten either.

• Charlie Charlie on Oct 11, 2018

Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciated the help. What I did was to purchase a Fluidmaster 555c flapper it sits on top of the black plastic ring. It is held in place with a sticky gasket, and adjusted the chain. It took less than 5 minutes, and works like a charm.