Asked on Jul 25, 2017

Can I patch a hole in PVC pipes?

by Carmen
I found a leak in one of my sprinkler pipes. I Googled to see if I can fix it myself, but I'm too intimidated to do any cutting. You can see from the picture it's a small hole. Question. Is there anyway I can just "patch" this tiny hole? Some special pvc patch?
  8 answers
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Jul 25, 2017

    PVS is really easy to work with, but maybe find a friend that has a higher comfort level and cut out that part and replace it. All you need is a coupling, cut the pipe in half at that point, glue the heck out of it (with proper plumbing sealant) and once its dry it should be like it never happened.

    • Carmen Carmen on Jul 25, 2017

      The leak is coming from the seal. The problem with cutting the pipe is that one side is only about 1/4" long and it's coming out of the black electrical valve box. Don't see see how I can cut it.

  • Dee Dee on Jul 25, 2017

    I've used a product called WaterWeld by JB Weld with great success. You should be able to get it at your local home improvement store. I got mine at LOWES. It cost about $10.

  • Cin21825342 Cin21825342 on Jul 25, 2017

    There is a really good tape product out that stretches around the pipe and then shrinks to seal the hole.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 25, 2017

    There is something on the market for just such a job, I think it is something you put on with a brush.

  • William William on Jul 25, 2017

    Picture is a bit fuzzy. Looks like the hole is close to a joint. Don't know of its a coupling or elbow. Cutting out and replacing is the best. But that involves PVC primer, PVC glue, PVC pipe and PVC fittings. Use a two part epoxy putty to seal the hole. Make sure the surface is clean and dry. Lightly sand the area to roughen the surface and remove the gloss. Follow product instructions. JB Weld , Locktite, and PC products are some of the top brands. Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, and auto parts stores sell them. Used to use JB Weld to seal holes in car gas tanks back in the day.

  • Carmen Carmen on Jul 25, 2017

    Thanks. The leak seems to be coming from the seal. I think first I'll take your advice and try to plug it up with JB Weld. You can't see it, but on one side of pipe it is about a 1/4" from the black electrical valve and I don't see how I can cut that side. I hope sealing it will do the trick! 🙏🏼

  • Carmen Carmen on Jul 25, 2017

    Here's a better view

  • William William on Jul 25, 2017

    Yep! The whole assembly would need to be redone. Use the JB Weld. Just make sure you clean and lightly sand the area. Should work. Good Luck. Lets us know how it works out.