How do I repair screw holes from door hardware in hollow door frames?

+2

• William William on Dec 27, 2018

Use a sharpened wood dowel covered in glue and placed in the holes. I also have used golf tees to fill screw holes in doors and door frames. Cut off the excess flush.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 27, 2018

Hi Kris,

I don't know if this is the "proper" way, but I just put a layer of wood repair putty over the hole and let it dry. Then I sand it and put on another layer, feathering the edges. Once that dries I sand it again. If you're not going to use that spot for screws and just want to cover it up, prime it and paint it along with the door. If you need to stain it, be sure to buy stainable wood putty. You'll have to sand down the rest of the door and stain it all to match. If the hole is bigger, here's a quick video with another process. Wishing you the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K233OoNfKk

• Kris Kris on Dec 28, 2018

Hi Thank you very much, I get the idea now as using a three step process is sure to give me a long term solution,Have great new year

• Mad29883817 Mad29883817 on Dec 28, 2018

Can use spackling

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 28, 2018

Hi Kris: Here's a fix that is similar to fixing a hole in drywall. Get a Popsicle stick, poke a hole in the middle and put a really long string through the hole. Make a big knot on one side so the string won't come out when you pull on it. Then get a can of beans, corn, anything:) Put glue on the stick side that is going to be against the door. Then, push the stick through the hole so that it falls into the interior of the door and then pull the string until the stick is flush against the door. Tie the string around the can and let it dangle so that it holds the stick against the hole and let the glue dry. Then, follow the directions that Linda suggests. The stick will give the wood putty something to stick to and should keep it from falling into the door. If you need to make the hole a bit bigger to accommodate the stick, just make a slight straight slice, don't make the whole hole bigger. Good luck.