How to resurface a bay window with rotten wood

by Pat
This is for a front window where weather has rotten the wood. I can afford to replace the window, I just want to patch it for now.
  6 answers
  • William William on Jun 29, 2016
    A photo would help! If the rot isn't that bad, you can remove as much of the loose rotten wood and use Bondo to patch.
  • Patricia geyer Patricia geyer on Jun 29, 2016
    Can u fill it with wood glue and sand it.
    • Lynn Palmatier Lynn Palmatier on Jun 30, 2016
      No, wood glue is made for gluing wood pieced together. What you should used is a product called Rock Hard. It's powder that you can mix and fill in the area affected by the rot. If the wood has a natural or stained surface, the product will not take stains and will show. Best if the surface it painted after using Rock Hard. You will have to sand it like any wood product. They also have a ready to use paste. My husband does handy man jobs for people and uses it when appropriate. There are other wood fillers that are available as well. Make sure all rot is removed first. If it is a stained surface check the product to see if they can be stained.
  • Barb Barb on Jun 30, 2016
    Use wood filler, also called plastic wood. I would remove as much rot as possible first.
  • Don Mccallum Don Mccallum on Jun 30, 2016
    or builders bog from warehouse
  • Gary Hardman Gary Hardman on Jun 30, 2016
    Use water putty. It dries hard as a rock, you can sand and paint and it is waterproof.
  • BootzB BootzB on Jul 01, 2016
    There is an epoxy marine product... It penetrates the wood and can then be sanded and painted. Used it on an old boat that had dry-rot and fiberglass de-lamination, worked like a charm. You'll have to drill holes and 'inject' it, but it kills mold and stabilizes the wood. Here is a selection: