I need a way to "fix" cheap kitchen cabinet doors.

They seem to be peeling. It is a mobile home so they are cheaply made of fiberboard or something.

  6 answers
  • FL FL on Aug 07, 2017
    Hi! Maybe you can remove the cabinet doors and hardware, scrape, use steel wool, sandpaper or chemically remove the flaking paint. Use a paint primer to get a solid base. Paint with the color of your choice. You can change up the hardware/knobs/handles, attach molding to add design to the doors, even use two colors (one for the cabinets and one for the cabinet doors). You could change the entire kitchen area! Good luck!

  • Vonnieschmitt Vonnieschmitt on Aug 07, 2017
    Sounds like thermofoil. You could use cheap luan, lattice boards (1/2 inch thick by 2 inches wide, milled for making lattice, not completed lattice) and make a shaker look door. Sand, paint, even add more detail with more molding.

  • KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on Aug 07, 2017
    Good Morning Crickert58! :) Here is a link that will hopefully be of help to you :) Thanks for using Hometalk for help. Good Luck!

  • Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Aug 07, 2017
    The doors seem like they have had it. You could peel off as much as you can, and try to make it smooth. Then cover it with contact paper. You could replace them by putting new doors on. You possibly will be able to buy the same doors, and they will be cheap. Go to a Home Depot, or Lowe's or a kitchen place where the doors can be ordered. Bring one of them with you, and hang them yourself. I would cover the new doors with Wilbert's lemon oil. Don't do this if you put the contact paper on. They sell them by the roll, about $7.,figure out how much you need. Make sure on the rolls, you get the same lot#, so their all the same shade. Also buy extra, you could always bring it back if it's not opened. Good Luck!

  • Rhonda S Rhonda S on Aug 07, 2017
    It depends on where they are peeling, how deep the damage is, etc. One solution would be to use a spray product (Spray Stone) to give the surface a cleanable but mottled appearance. Rustoleum sells it. If the peeling is at the corners where the handles are, for example, I would mask off the center and make a "frame" around the outside to give them a unique look. I have not used the product in a kitchen, but I had an inexpensive table with water damage to the center portion. The spray stone worked well to disguise the problem, and it served in a covered porch outside for several years. Another solution that MAY work for you: if you have an architectural salvage store or a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area, you may be able to find actual cabinet doors to fit, and replace the whole door for a fraction of what new doors would be if you order them from a retail outlet. The problem is always finding enough and the right size, but it would be worth looking.

  • Jodie Woods Jodie Woods on Aug 07, 2017
    Is it possible to just take them off and use your cabinets as open shelving?