How to repair broken 3ply leaded glass window?


I can’t find a replacement window for my front door. It’s 3 ply with the tempered glass broken on both sides. I can replace those panes but 2 of the leaded glass panes in between are also broken.

Any ideas as I’m not skilled in glass work.

So far, its either have someone replace half the door with glass or get a new door.

  4 answers
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 16, 2018

    Hello Sandy, I would try and get a book on how to repair Lead glass panels. Go along to a Craft shop and see if they can help in any way........... Good luck!

  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jul 16, 2018

    We have several arched windows with some kind of gas inside. One of the windows is full of fog and drops of water. We have been given estimates of $250-500 to replace the whole window. The pros say there is no way to replace the gas. Your window seems to be even more unique, but smaller, so I’m guessing it would coat $250-400 to replace. Get free estimates from window repair/replacement companies. Take before, during and after photos showing your involvement and you will have a good Hometalk project. Chech with those same places plus home improvement stores for the materials needed. Best wishes, Sandy. ☺️

  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jul 16, 2018

    Sandy, if your door is sturdy and it fits well so as to keep out drafts, you may want to spend the money and replace the panel rather than try and fix it yourself. Keep in mind that what money you save now may be wasted if the repair you do is not weatherproof...i.e., sealed properly.

    Google, "replacement for glass panel in outside door" for dealers in your area.

  • 2dogal 2dogal on Jul 16, 2018

    If you can replace the two outside glass panels, but not the leaded one in the center, contact someone who does stained glass. They work with leaded glass and could probably assist you in replacing the broken pieces. Your center pane is made with the same process as colored stained glass panels only clear and frosted glass is used instead.