Can I make my skinny steps wider?

+3
STAIRS ARE STEEP AND NOT VERY WIDE WOULD LIKE THEM WIDE

• What type of steps? Concrete? Wood? Metal? Interior or exterior?

• FL FL on Dec 14, 2017
    I think the whole layout of the house has to be considered before that question can be answered. There are places where only a spiral metal staircase can fit, and places where an extended or expanded staircase can be installed. I don't know if a person from your town's building code department would know or if there is another person you could ask? Maybe an architect?

• NancyMaria NancyMaria on Dec 14, 2017
    You will have to have them rebuilt. There are laws about height and width of steps to pass inspections.

• 27524803 27524803 on Dec 14, 2017
    It depends on what the code requirements are in your county...
    And once you touch them... they will have to be brought up to code...which probably means rebuilding them.

• William William on Dec 14, 2017
    I agree! They will need to completely rebuilt. There are codes that need to be followed. Generally stairs follow a 7 - 11 rule. Meaning the tread is 11" and the riser is 7". Also most codes require stairs to be no less that 36" wide. Once you start dealing with the stairs they must meet code. Best to consult a professional for the job.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 15, 2017
    You would have to tear off the current steps and rebuild. If you just try to make the treads wider, someone can trip by catching their toes on the treads going upstairs.