Can those cheap (ceramic?) curved backsplashes be cut off?

+3
I want to refinish it with tile. I was thinking of using my oscillating tool.
q can those cheap ceramic curved backsplashes be cut off
  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Apr 27, 2018
    it will leave a rough edge on your counter tops and not sure how that would look unless the tile butts up to the countertop and you fill in with grout

• William William on Apr 27, 2018
    Are you sure it's ceramic? Looks more like composite to me. Either way you would need a carbide or diamond blade for the oscillating tool. Tape off the counter and backsplash leaving a line where you want to cut. It will be slow going. You may also need to grind the area to level/smooth out

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Apr 27, 2018
    Hi Val,
    Something else to think about is what is under the finish. What will it look like when you cut it off? Is there something you have in mind that is the same width to use to replace it? What if it's just be a composite underneath? Depending on how many issues you find, what you need to spend to repair underneath what you cut off, and how large it is, it might be more cost effective to just replace the whole thing. Especially if you can DIY. You might be able to find exactly what you need at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore if you have one in your area. Wishing you the best.

• Cindy Hagemann Cindy Hagemann on Apr 27, 2018
    It looks connected to the sink and not ceramic to me. Replace the entire top, if so.

• Alice Alice on May 01, 2018
    I think it might be a little more difficult than you imagine. It might be easier to replace the whole cabinet, then tile. Why not just start tiling above that backsplash. It would still look good.

Here is a video that tells you how to cut laminate (formica) countertop without chipping with a circular saw...