Need to block off false front entrance

Mary Ann Joy
by Mary Ann Joy
house built in 1974 1 false door and 1 real door so it looks like it is a double door. need to replace doors but unable to find these kind of doors so I would like to block in the fake door and just have one door. any idea how to do this
  4 answers
  • Kimberly Barney Kimberly Barney on May 28, 2013
    You could replace it with French doors. Lowe's carries French doors that come complete with the door frame. If you choose to block in the fake door, you will need to frame up wall, hang drywall, install insulation and exterior facing. The French doors may be an easier solution. Of course, you could purchase two wood exterior doors that have not been drilled for knobs or hinges. These could be customized to suit the space you have and make the doors where both open.
  • Russell Millworks, Inc. Russell Millworks, Inc. on May 29, 2013
    Typically what is done is to either place a mull between the operating and stationary doors, or to place two mulls and use a door in the middle between two sidelites. Either will probably require some custom woodwork if not millwork. Lately we do a lot of the opposite: building a door pair where there used to be a door and sidelites..
  • Mary Ann Joy Mary Ann Joy on May 29, 2013
    the fake door has a support wall behind it which is my hallway into the formal room and formal dining area. the door that opens is up against the outside wall of the porch. any further suggestions?
  • Mary Ann Joy Mary Ann Joy on May 29, 2013
    Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because the door which doesn't open has a wall behind it and the other door is up against the outside porch wall which is not enclosed.