How to Build a Firepit - DIY Design

$80

You can build a great firepit for all to enjoy in less than 30 minutes and for under $80!
how to build a firepit, outdoor living, patio
It's easy to build a firepit in just minutes with some pavers and a fire bowl. In this case, it literally took longer to go pick up the supplies than it did to actually put it all together. Best of all, it's not a permanent fixture, so you can move it around if you need to.
If you are building this firepit on grass, you will want to be sure to dig out for the space. In this case, the fire pit was built right on top of the concrete patio by stacking pavers in a circle. Many people has asked if the heat from the fire could crack the concrete. We have not had any problems at all with this one since we are using a firebowl and stacked it high enough off the ground. The pavers are not adhered together so it still lets air breathe through the stones.
For a 35" firebowl as we used in this project, we needed 48 pavers and stacked them 4 layers high.
Easy to move if needed, simple and inexpensive!
Once you stack your pavers, drop in the firebowl, add some spark and you're ready to go! I recommend of course building this in an open area so there are no trees directly above the fire. All of our supplies came from Lowe's and even after 3 years, the firepit is still holding up beautifully!
Ellora at Creatively Southern

• Raquelmaciel1

What if you have grass and dirt underneath? What can I use thats easy to cover the dirt circle below the fire bowl?

• Deanne Tranter Atwood

I would just use a bit of pea gravel. We actually got ours free from a county road paving project. We used some of the left over gravel that they sweep off the road once the tar is played.

It has a little tar residue on the gravel but hey, nobody is going to see it if it is at the bottom of the fire pit. 😀

• Charitie Drye

Where did you find the fire bowl? Could you update and add a buy list of your materials?

• Wanda

We live in a rainy area. What do we do when fire bowl becomes full of water?

• Deanne Tranter Atwood

I would drill a hole in the bottom of the bowl. It the bricks are not cemented together the water will just drain normally.

• Linda Abate

Love your fire pit. Definitely is an easy enough project. I like that the actual wood container has a cover to keep embers from flying out. GREAT JOB.
  • Carrie B

Great idea!

Is there anything under the bowl,keeping it off the ground and even with the bricks?

I really want to try this😀

• Maurtura

I put about 6 imches of playsamd in the bottom. Works great. Gives extra warmth as well