Fake Planks

I have planked my bedroom wall. . . with a Pencil!!!
Yup, I drew my planks on with a pencil, and you know what? You almost can't even tell, my wall actually looks like it is lined with wood planks.
Here is a before picture. The wall was just plain and boring, so I knew that adding planks would be the perfect thing. However, being that I'm not much of a handyman, adding wood planks seemed like too much work. That's when I came up with the idea of just drawing them on to achieve the look that I wanted.
I used a leveler, a ruler, and a pencil to create my planks.
I measured my lines to be 6 inches apart. I used the leveler to make sure the lines were straight, and then I ran my pencil down the leveler to create the lines.
I had to sharpen my pencil a lot, so having an electric pencil sharpener nearby came in real handy. I also made my pencil marks thicker in some spots and lighter in others, and that is were the illusion comes in, it makes the lines look like actual spaces between planks.
lastly, I lightly brushed on some sealer to keep the pencil lead from smearing.
I did this project in about an hour. And I am so happy with the results.
Please stop by my blog to see more of this project or others like it.
Thanks!

The Wicker House

• Deb

I was wondering if you could have used a chalk line and just penciled over it using a yardstick to get it straight..?? I am thinking the string thing that has chalk in it and you snap it to leave the line..

• Dianab

Reply to Sandpiper: there is a very small level that attaches to a line to get a straight horizontal line on a wall.

• Colleen Hannigan

What white color did you use one walls and furniture? Love the look!!

• Ronni

How did you apply the sealer so it didn’t smudge the lines?

• Theresa Holz

Now this makes sense for my bathroom where the humidity might cause problems with boards. Honestly, even the close-up photos don't truly reveal the faux wood. Great job!

• Linda

Minimum input for maximum outcome. My kind of project. Well done and the wall really pops! Thanks for sharing.