Fake Planks

I have planked my bedroom wall. . . with a Pencil!!!
fake planks, bedroom ideas, diy, painting, wall decor
Yup, I drew my planks on with a pencil, and you know what? You almost can't even tell, my wall actually looks like it is lined with wood planks.
Here is a before picture. The wall was just plain and boring, so I knew that adding planks would be the perfect thing. However, being that I'm not much of a handyman, adding wood planks seemed like too much work. That's when I came up with the idea of just drawing them on to achieve the look that I wanted.
I used a leveler, a ruler, and a pencil to create my planks.
I measured my lines to be 6 inches apart. I used the leveler to make sure the lines were straight, and then I ran my pencil down the leveler to create the lines.
I had to sharpen my pencil a lot, so having an electric pencil sharpener nearby came in real handy. I also made my pencil marks thicker in some spots and lighter in others, and that is were the illusion comes in, it makes the lines look like actual spaces between planks.
lastly, I lightly brushed on some sealer to keep the pencil lead from smearing.
I did this project in about an hour. And I am so happy with the results.
Please stop by my blog to see more of this project or others like it.
Thanks!
The Wicker House

• Gene

Would a carpenters pencil be better? Thicker lead is the only thing I was thinking of. It might be to thick.

• Deb

I was wondering if you could have used a chalk line and just penciled over it using a yardstick to get it straight..?? I am thinking the string thing that has chalk in it and you snap it to leave the line..

• Colleen Hannigan

What white color did you use one walls and furniture? Love the look!!

• Gloria

This is the coolest and smartest idea I have seen in a long time. I think even I can do that! I really love this idea.

• Dap7615769

Brilliant.,inspired......