Stephanie
Stephanie
  • Lawrence, KS

Backsplash Tiling for First-Timers: You Can Do It!

Updating or adding a tile backsplash to your kitchen (or bathroom) is a great way to make a big impact update to your space. Here are a few tips that I picked up from my first tiling job, adding a new kitchen backsplash.
Our original kitchen backsplash was a single row of white square builder grade tiles. They weren't much to look at, and really did nothing to enhance the look of the kitchen. So, the first order of business was removing them.
backsplash tiling for first timers you can do it, diy, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling
Using a utility knife, I scored the caulking that was around the edges of each tile. Then, I used a hammer to gently tap a flat head screwdriver behind each tile to remove it from the wall. (Ideally, you would use a pry bar, it works better, and you don't have to worry about putting the screwdriver through the wall. Not that I did that at all...)
If you liked this project and are looking for even more like it, visit the One Mile Home Style blog at www.onemilehomestyle.com. Thank you for supporting bloggers!

Stephanie

• Erica Gott

I always find it difficult to figure out where to end the backsplash. Do you think it would have looked different if you'd ended it under the edge of the upper cabinet instead of extending to the edge of the counter? Otherwise, I love this and really like the layout of your kitchen.

• KrysFL

Looks like she started with the edge of her countertop, which is a bar without an overhead cabinet. To each his own. You don't have to be rude.

• Darlena

I see that you arranged the tile the way you wanted it on the wall. But then did you have to remove and place on the wall piece by piece ?

• Jeani Miller Miner

@Darlena these tiles are sold in 12x12 sheets attached to a mesh back. You get the look of individually placed tiles without all the effort

• Carla Broyles

I'm going to do my kitchen. Right now it has painted laminate. Can I just install my tiles over that other should I remove it? I'm afraid if I try to remove it, it might have lots of glue and could damage the drywall. Yours looks great!

• Barbara Gibbons

Looks great and very good tutorial. I will have to check this store out, don't live to far away.

• Beth

Thank you for this post. I was just about to start my first kitchen back splash and was going to just wing it. This really helps!