The Hidden Weatherizing Tip!

$7

Looking to save money on utilities? Check out this oft overlooked weatherizing area!
Floor registers. Most of us have them. Ours do nothing for our nice floors, wouldn't you say?! But that's not why we're here. Ever pull up one of your registers and see what's going on down there? Not a bad idea to give it a look.
This one here, like all of our floor registers, had gaps (some huge!) between the ductwork and all the construction that makes up our floors/basement ceilings. I wondered, how sealed up is everything within all those areas? Not much I'm sure -- I bet if I took out the duct (which I won't), peeked around, I bet everything is open to everything else all the way to the foundation walls. Yeah, the house flipper we bought from was bad.
Sooooo...I then wondered if cold air was coming in through these gaps or if the gaps were stealing my pricey heated or cooled air.
Such an easy fix with some silver foil HVAC duct tape. Not the duck tape, or the gummy sticky tape, but the silver foil tape. I patched up all the gaps. Be sure to give the vent a quick vacuum while you're there too!
Amazingly, there's a difference in the house -- it does feel a tad warmer. Huh! For a few bucks, why not, right?
Be sure to come see all the other great DIY tips I have in this blog post along with all sorts of other great stuff at Flipping the Flip! Click the link below!

Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Norma Berry

I love your idea but where do you get this tape for the duck work

• Maryinrockport

Did u see a different in the bill? My house is all elec. So either way A/C n heater is used all year around.

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

I've done lots of various things to improve our weatherizing and indeed, I have seen a difference in the bills. Every little bit helps. The ambient temperature in winter feels warmer since I taped the vents so to me it was worth it.

• Crumly

Huh, never thought of this. Our home is 110 years old so so being that you sound like a flipper you know what that means. Hahaha everything needs help in this farmhouse. Thanks so much.

• Brenda

Great idea. Thank you so much for sharing!