Merry D
Merry D
  • Fairfield, CA

Does an Organized Coat Closet really exist?

Joni SorsenTammy SeaCindy Padilla
+13

Pictured is my hall coat closet. This is the floor footprint: 4.5' X 1'X 4.5' X 2.5'. But not square, sort of angled. There was a single wire rack extending across the front for hanging coats, but everything would get jumbled underneath and hidden. I see plenty of ideas online for "squared" closets but none that would suit my "pentagonal" closet. There is a space of maybe four inches to the left of the door, no spare wall space to the right. Any help?
The architect had a weird sense of humor. This closet is off a passage which cants off at an angle from the foyer. Many of the closets were framed in with this odd, angular aspect.
  • KMS Woodworks

Are you thinking a closet rod...or maybe just hooks? A wood shelf could be installed along the 2 longish walls with a bit of a dog leg angle to it. this could accommodate smaller items. Coat hooks come in dozens of styles and sizes. Most people just have too much stuff, or put too much stuff in a small space. In my home we enter through the laundry room, and I have about 8-10 hooks. these are used for one or two coats per person. the coat selection changes with the season...and the out of season stuff is stored in one or our other closets.

• Ms Jenn

or spring rods? Not sure how much weight you want to hang. We have a 'quirky' house too-nothing is square or easily done in it...sigh. Nature of the beast!

• I would try to go with a a shelf rack in the back smaller corner. This is dead space anyway. Then maybe a hook system on the 2 longer walls. This is a trail and error type closet. Good Luck!

• Merry D

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. This closet is mainly used to store a vacuum, a few coats and motorcycle gear, so a single rod and then hooks and shelves in that dead space might be more sane. I was trying to wrap my brain around custom cutting shelves but I think I'll leave that to hubby, he's got the engineering genes!

• KMS Woodworks

I put in some short lengths of shelving in our guest closet / pantry. and then for some more small item storage a free standing wire shelf unit. http://www.hometalk.com/749597/guest-closet-pantry-re-work

• Taylor Holsten

That is a very strange shape! Perhaps you could put a nice curtain (Or blinds, but curtains would cost significantly less) behind the hanging rod? Behind the curtain you could put the vacuum and have some other hooks installed to hang the biking gear.

• Ann

#

• Carrie Krumrie

I would run a length of wood along the longest sides...being careful to make everything level....then cut the shelf a bit shy of the size and put the shelf on top...start your shelves higher than your vacuum....

• Melissa B

Goodness... must have been a man!! There is a clothes hanging rack that's about a foot long from IKEA that is on rollers and pulls in and out. It mounts to the underside of a shelf. It's similar to the kind you might find in an RV. That could be put in the back mounted to a shelf. Then hooks on the right for motorcycle gear. Items not good to hang would go on the shelf or shelves if there is sufficient height. You might look at some of the wall storage systems at IKEA. Then vacuum on the left. Boy... that's a tough space.

• Jan

Does one really need a coat closet in CA??? I would make this into storage----but this from someone in FL---

• Kathie taylor

I live further "south" than you do and YES a coat closet is necessary! Mine was done with wire shelving. I kept my 'coats' on a bentwood rack by the front door. Tired of the 'clutter', I rearranged the coat to accommodate the coats. (jackets)

• Rhonda Ostwald Ingalsbe

Built ins, for sure.

• Cindy Padilla

Hooks, staggered (higher,then the next one lower, then repeat pattern).

• Tammy Sea

I'm wondering if a couple of valet hanging rods would be the way to go here. That would make the rest of the space more accessible for hooks, shelves and such.

• Joni Sorsen

That is an odd shaped closet. Is it big enough that if you put a rod across the right side, that you could walk in to see what is hanging in the back?

• B. Enne

@Joni Sorsen I agree... maybe a rod from the right corner by the door frame, to the corner that is to the left of the one where you have the rod leaning. Or you could go from the right corner by the door frame, to the one where you have the rod leaning, and put 2 or 3 shelves to fit the angle in the corner left of that.