Shelly
Shelly
  • Eliot, ME

Help with male dogs peeing on shrubs.

KATHLEEN QUINLANJulesatlantaCharlotte
+8

Last fall my awesome husband put a dozen little shrubs in the ground, it seems my two male dogs and a friends male dog like to mark them. I am wondering what I could do if anything to prevent them from doing this. The areas where they mark are brown and black. I am worried they are going to kill the shurbs before they get a chance to grow up and give us the privacy I am hoping to get between us and our neighbors. I recall reading online that I could mix jalapeno peppers with water in a mixer and spray it on the shrubs, that once the dogs smell it they will stop marking them. Any help or ideas are very gratefull. Thank you all. I can try to post pics if needed.
this is what is happening to the shrubs.. I still see some green growing toward the inside of branches.
  • Olga A

some chopped onions close to the shrubs

• Once the dog marks the spot other dogs come to mark it as their own. The trick is to remove the odors. And on shrubs that can be difficult to do because many methods of removing odors can kill the very bush you are trying to grow. You can try using Natures Miracle and enzyme killer that removes odors. Put it in a spray bottle and wet the area well. I would put a motion sensor with garden hose attached that will spray the doggies when they get to near the bush. That should stop them quickly. Do not put any kind of food material down, Onions, peppers etc. this will only attract animals that eat the stuff. Many things to stop dogs urinating in a house will not work outside. The only last thing to do is to put a small garden fence around the bush to keep the dogs away altogether.

I think fencing these plants is the only answer.

• Shelly

Looks like I am going to be going to the store today to set up a motion sensor to the hose. The little shrubs will benifit from the water in 2 ways ; ) going to see how the water trick works before adding more little fences to the yard. I fenced off my roses already. Thank you all.

q help with male dogs peeing on shrubs, gardening, pest control, shrubs lined whole way down the fenceq help with male dogs peeing on shrubs, gardening, pest control, fenced off roses
  • Vicki

I use black pepper. it helps here to keep dogs back off my yard. need to redo after rain.

• Rachel Bear

we also put cayenne peppers in a spray bottle and make a juice. spray it around there and the smell drives them away. totally pesticide free.

• Tony

My suggestion would be to apply a little garden lime. It will nutralize the odor. be careful not to over apply and change the PH of the soil which may effect the shrub. Then apply the cayenne pepper to prevent future pitstops.

• Charlotte

I heard yesterday on TV that jalopeneo peppers chopped and mixed with water in a spray bottle will do the trick

• Julesatlanta

You can designate a potty area for your dogs. Pick an area for them to potty. Put some hardy shrubs in that area. You will have to establish it as THE AREA they can use by walking them out their EVERYTIME to show them and giving a command like potty. Next when you take them out put them on a long 20' lead and when they go to sniff other plants, shrubs, correct them and take them to the area you want them to use until they potty. If they don't go, take them back in house, wait 20mins and repeat until they go. If you have plants that are already burned or damaged, dig them up and put in area for scent excitement. If not, spray some water on shrubs if possible and wipe plants with clothe to get urine scent on it. Place pieces of it in the area to increase scent excitement. Make sure with male dogs they have something to lift their leg on. You can even use a fake fire hydrant(you can get online or dog store) putting rag with scent there. Make SURE you keep poop cleaned in area or they will stop going there
  • KATHLEEN QUINLAN

I have 2 male dogs, not mine that keep coming an urinating on my small shrubs. Last year they urinated on my huge Rosemary bush and killed it. HELP!