LouAnne S
LouAnne S
  • Antioch, CA
Asked on Apr 8, 2012

Can anyone tell me this "plant's" id?

DORLISSandra ChapmanJudy
+27

We had a load of soil brought in when we filled in our pool last year. This plant/weed? is growing in several places where the new lawn will be put. I kind of like it fot it's oddness - unusual form. This is the smallest one of 3 plants that have come up so far. thankks in advance
q can anyone tell me this plant s id, gardening
  • LouAnne S

Why is this only showing on my profile page and not the feed ? It says there have been 94 views...NO ONE has ever seen this before? Do you all need a closer picture????

• Miriam I

Hi Louanne, it is showing up in the feed as well. You just need to sort by "new" (upper right hand side of the homepage). It must be that no one has been able to identify it yet, I certainly can't :) But don't worry, I'm sure you will have some your answer soon.

• 3po3

I have never seen anything like this either, but I am in a very different climate. You could take a clipping to a good local nursery you trust. They might be able to help you.

LouAnne, I sent the photo to a gardening friend in California, who identifies it as Claytonia perfoliata. The common name, miner's lettuce, refers to its use by California Gold Rush miners, who ate it to get their vitamin C to prevent scurvy. Some folks apparently still eat it today, raw in salads. The leaves start out green, but turn a deep red as they dry out.

• Judy

@Douglas Hunt Good job Doug! Enjoyed the history lesson too. It looked familiar to me & the first thing that popped into my head was miner's lettuce but I've never seen it turn red like that before.

• Ruth K

oh I like this send me some LOL really if its that hardy put some roots in a zip bag and send it to me.

• LouAnne S

Well Ruth, you know what they say...."A weed is just an undiscovered treasure!"

• Fieldstone Design

Hellebore!

• Tamber B

That looks like a plant i see growing out in the fields by the lake mmm not sure what it is though, maybe you should as a botanist at your local college

• Carol

Fieldstone - Hellebore was the first thing I thought of too.

• Carol S

I love this plant!!! Wish I knew what it was. Am taking notes on the answers. i have Hellebore and the flowers are nothing like this. LOVE the colors!.

• Mary C

maybe call your local landscapers or garden centers.

• Debora P

Some alien weed! LOL!

• Elaine V

Helleborous, also known as Lenten Rose!!!! It comes in all colors!

• Betsey D

I would go with miner's lettuce - always look it up, not guess. I knew it looked familiar but only saw it in books, as I am in NY. It is fascinating and I would put it into pots or a special place as a garden plant. It is lovely. We have some odd species on our property because there is a "micro climate" and the builders of the house were from way down South and planted them. It makes for a splendid and unique property. ENJOY! :)

• Gloria D

I googled miners lettuce and it does look just like this only it is very green, grows in the shade and wet areas, People up north have it but are over whelmed by it. Very good for salads. I would like some of this myself.

• Nancy J

Don't know what it is but I think it's pretty cool! No reason to discard a plant because it appears to be a weed. Make a garden of it, you might find it attracts butterflies and hummingbirds!

• Angie S

Hellrbores or Lenten Rose! pretty sure!

• Deborah C

It sort of looks like a Hellebore to me as well.But where is the foliage?

• Evelyn R

Very pretty; it's a keeper.

• Kelly S

We have something like it here. It grows where there's lots of water, mostly under my outside spigots! The roots are shallow so it's easy to get rid of if you want but it's unusual and pretty so plan around it. I don't like having plants close to my foundation so the ones at the spigot usually don't have a choice.

• Karla H

Have any of you seen "Little Shop of Horrors"? Beware of strange plants. I agree it looks like Hellebores or Lenten Rose.

• Evelyn R

I'm sure Douglas' friend is correct. It's not like any Hellebore I've ever seen - the stems are way different and it would be covered with leaves. I'll have to check this out and see if it grows here. I think it's gorgeous.

• LouAnne S

I have confirmed that Douglas's friend is correct. I'm potting the ones in the way of the ongoing landscaping and locally I even have found friends who have actually eaten Miner's Lettuce. They say it's good. I think all of them together will be an interesting display - IF it ever stops raining here! Thanks all!

• Lavinnea

This IS Miner's Lettuce and it is edible. It reseeds easily and comes up every year all over the yard. It's good added to our salads. This particular specimen doesn't look happy as they are usually deep green- my guess is too much sun or not enough water.

• Judy

Douglas Hunt nailed it in comment # 5. It's miner's lettuce. As you can see, it's all over Ca. but we have it here in Or. too. http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-taxon=Claytonia+perfoliata

• Sandra Chapman

Know you have received an answer already but for future reference on mystery plants your county extension office is always s sure bet.

• DORLIS

Edible! I will have to get some.