Stenciled and Faux Painted Walls

Our entry way has gone through several changes in the 12 years we've lived in our house. But the latest is my favorite!

Our walls were painted Sherwin Williams Interesting Aqua for a few years. This color was the base coat for my new paint treatment.

We had done the crown moulding and chair rails several years ago so I taped them off to protect them. Make sure to apply your painter's tape correctly for a neat finish.

Then using this paint tray and divided roller, I put 1/3 Interesting Aqua with 2/3 white in one side of the paint tray and a very small amount Valspar's gold glaze in the other side. I then blended these two colors out over my base coat of Interesting Aqua.

I then used a damask stencil and stenciled, very lightly, with Interesting Aqua and a little gold glaze.

Here's the stencil I used. I taped it to the wall with painter's tape and stenciled my design in various spots around the room. I wanted it to look a little asymmetrical.

I spaced my stencils evenly around the room. I then added a little texture on top the give the whole wall an elegant aged look.

Come and visit my blog for lots more photos of our home and tutorials on slip covers, reupholstering and chalk painting!

love and blessings~ Lynda

Lynda @ Gates Of Crystal

• Teresa

What size stencil did u use???

• Laura Nilles

Hi, your wall is beautiful, but what do you mean by “ I then blended these two colors out over my base coat”? How did you do this? And when you say you added texture at the end, how did you do this? Did you leave the stencil in and dab something onto it in random places? Thanks for any additional info, again it is beautiful!!

• Cindy Hayes Thompson

This is stunning and I'm going yo give it a try in my dining room. I can't find the Valspar glaze. Any suggestions for what I should use?

• Any brand is fine. It thins the paint. Sometimes it’s hard for me to help because I did this many years ago and the room is different now. There are pictures of the current room on my blog.