DIY TV Box Cover

1 Material
$5

Hi Hometalkers! I hope all of you are enjoying at least some degree of spring and sunshine, depending on where you are located. :) We have been busy bees working on a living room makeover, which I hope to reveal soon. But in the meantime, I wanted to share a quick tip for covering up your cable box or DVD player or whatever other devices you have lurking around your TV.
Here is the set-up we started out with. I already had two basket trays and they happened to fit the open shelves pretty perfectly and are good for holding remotes and magazines and kid books and stuff like that.
But the DVD player in the middle was kinda bugging me, which is when my AWESOME idea struck me. If we put the DVD player in a third basket, would the remote still work through the basket openings?
Well, yes it would!

Would Hobby Lobby still have these same baskets in stock so we could get a third?
Well, yes they would! And they happened to have a 50% off baskets sale going on, which meant that the basket only cost about five bucks.
Could I get any luckier?
So we did have to modify the basket a bit. We decided that most of the bottom needed to come out to avoid overheating. We also took out half of the back so that we could easily lift the basket in and out. Since we are using the basket for a DVD player, we need to remove the basket when we want to switch out DVDs.
By the way, we don’t have a cable box because we use Roku. But I think this would work just as well for a cable box and you probably wouldn’t even need to worry about taking the back wall of the basket out.
We put a bead of hot glue along every edge we were going to cut. This was to prevent the whole thing from unraveling. We made the cuts with a utility knife.
There were metal bars across the middle and the back wall , which we cut off with a hack saw.
And done! It doesn't take much to make me happy. :)
What do you think about this project?
Click the link below if you'd like to see some more detailed pictures of the process. :)

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Anni | Whose Idea Was It To Buy This House

• Elise
    Elise

Love the cutting off the (broken) bottom & I will add a new bottom or slide over a $ store bin. Thanks for the idea.

• JD
    JD

Great idea! Love it...😊