Beth S
Beth S
  • Indianapolis, IN

Can anyone tell me what this is growing in the center of my Hosta?

KathyEwo12552396Liz Weiss
+68

Odd hosta
Odd hosta
Odd hosta
Odd hosta
  • Pam

Looks like a question for Douglas to answer. I have never seen this before on a hosta.

• Dorene H

that is beautiful I never seen anything like that .. Is that in the hosta family ?

• Kathy R

Its just the plant. Mine do it too. I thought it was the flower but I cant remember what mine do exactly.

• Donna Marie P

Yes I see hostas that look like that all over the neighborhood. I believe that's the way some are bred to grow

• Cathy B

It is the way the Hosta "blooms". It is really healthy when it does this. When the blooms starts dying cut it down because iot takes a lot out of the when this happens. Every plant blooms in someway or another.

• Candace E

looks like its putting on a bloom!! I had a hens n ckicken bloom twice and it was amazing!!!

• Brenda D

That is really neat!

• Candace E

Its pretty whatever it is!! I personally love the verigated hostas

• Patricia W

I believe that is the flower. Some open pollinators do this.

• Deana D

It's another breed of hosta

• Jacquelyn B

um,. my hosta plants bloom every year, but they don't look like this. They get a thin stem with purple flowers.

• Joanne P

Looks like a "baby" hosta. Can it be rooted?

• Brandie F

Looks like the flower... Lots of hosta's over the years will eventually bloom

• Terry

I believe it is the Patriot saluting the Red, White, and Blue;)

• Ann T

Yes it is part of the plant I have several hosta that look just like that and they eventually produce a flower.

• Charlene D

its the flower that grows in the middle on a mature hosta, this only happens once a season, a pretty white flower :D

• Kym B

It is very unusual to me. I sold zillions of hosta and the bloom was always a tall stem with white fragrant flowers facing down. Who knows!

• Chloe W

It' a bloom stalk. Leave it alone, you'll have tall flowers.

• BeeKeeper J

flower stalk

• Evelyn R

Wow - be sure to take a pix when it blooms. I've got a gazillion hostas (anyone want any?) and none of them have ever produced anything like this.

• Lisa S

it's your hosta growing i have them to

• Glenda B

It's a Hosta mini me. :)

• Wendy G

bloom stalk

• Linda A

I don't know what it is exactly but mine do it also. It is part of the plant. though.

• Season T

Could that be the flower stalk or maybe a new baby plant?

• Kathleen

I haven't ever seen a hosta do this before - it is not a flower stalk. Hosta flowers are smallish, bell shaped flowers that grow on long scapes rising from the center of the plant. I am more concerned about what appears to be some discoloration and rippling on the leaves of your hosta, although from the photo it is hard to see exactly what is going on. I would encourage you to check out this website on a relatively new hosta disease that has become quite prevalent around the country and look closely at your leaves. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/pdf/3069.pdf If there is any question that this might be Hosta Virus x, you might want to ask your local land grant university to test it for you.

• Tds33680400

I think this variety of hosta is called Fire and Ice, and the variegated and curling leaves ate characteristic of the plant.
  • Toni B

it's a new plant. sometimes they shoot upwards instead of underground on tubers. you could cut it, like you would an indoor plant and root it. if you use a really good soil, and "dip" the end of the cutting in a root stimulator, it will flourish just like the mother plant. they will sometimes do this if the mother plant is overcrowded.

• EA E

its part of the hosta - I have a hosta that does this - for some reason I want to say sombrero - bought it a few years ago when I saw it was a "sun" hosta rather than the normal shady varieties.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I think the term is secondary fasciation. It is an aberration that usually occurs with stress, such as if the plant gets hit with the cold when it is trying to come out, it thinks it dying and sends up a second shoot.

• Karen M

is it growing up from the ground or out of the center of another hosta?

• Sally H

Looks like a Hosta to me

• Roxy D

That, my friend, is a very good question. It looks like the bloom. Not what we are used to seeing. I have dozens of hosta and love them.

• Mjo85674

I don't know what it is. I would love to grow one. I have several hosta but none like this. Can anyone tell me where I might could order one???

• Colleen C

It is a flower stock. You can remove it if you want just the leaves or leave it to make some small flowers.

• Joan S

I think it is another Hosta. I usually have a tall stalk with bell like flowers and along the stem is leaves. I love Hostas as they grow anywhere and take up all the space covering a multitude of weeds.

• Patience M

It looks like an off-shoot from the primary plant. A clone not progeny, it may develop into to a flowering stalk but it really looks like an off-shoot clone of the parent plant.

• Sue M

Looks to be hosta, this one will prob flower well.

• BeeKeeper J

Kathleen it might depend on the variety of hosta... but secondary fasciation is interesting... off to look that up!

• Beth S

Thanks everyone, I will watch it and if it blooms or does anything strange, I will post on here.

• Vivian S

If you have more than one doing this, you might try Toni B's suggestion

• Amy K

That is the bloom stalk it should get flowers on it when it is about 1 1/2 - 2 ft tall

• Marg C

thanks Beth, would love to see it if it blooms.

• Paula M

looks like a sport - a shoot that is different than the mother plant, would be great if you could remove it and root it. Could be a new variety of miniature.

• Karen M

I'm not sure we can safely say "what" it is until we know where it's coming from. Beth, is it independently growing directly from the ground? Or, is it emerging from a different hosta plant?

• Jeri T

It's the hosta getting ready to bloom.

• Kym B

Where is Walter Reeves or Dr. Armitage on this one?

• Marg C

It does look like stress growth especially with the minimal growth around it.

• Beth S

Karen, it is definitely growing in the middle of hosta leaves. It is part of the hosta plant. The leaves below it are a small cluster next to the main hosta. This is the 3rd year I have had it. It came from a nursery.

• Evelyn R

Four Seasons - I went off and read about secondary fasciation and now I have a headache!

• Lynette R

it's the flower of the hosta

• Karen M

I'd love to see a picture of how it looks today!

• Marg C

I would too :D

• Rhonda Clements

It is just going to flower

• Karen B

Pineapple?? LOL

• Patti @Hearth and Vine

That's cool looking. I have never seen a hosta do that.

• Linda

Strange looking, one of a kind. I have several hostas, and never seen one like that!

• Pauliegirl1

Healthy and Happy Hosta......BLOOMING!!

• DianaB

@Pauliegirl1 That is NOT a hosta bloom. They come out on long and slender stalks with small flowers dispersed along the top portions. Whatever it is is very pretty, perhaps a hosta mutation. I would be anxious to see what it ends up looking like.

• Lisa

alien hosta. LOL.!!

• San downie

Hosts that wants to get noticed x

• Linda

I have many Hostas but have never seen a flower like this. This looks like an abnormality.....like a mini hosta plant on a long stem! Really neat! Let us know if you ever find out.
  • Beth Gee

My hosts have never done that. That's cool.

• Rosemary McMeekin

Hosta has flowers. I think this is a flower.

• DianaB

Try checking with your local Extension Center office and local master gardeners for help with this one :)) The extension center is part of your state-wide agricultural program and they have lots of answers.

• Dfleet

I have many hostas, you might say an obsession, that is the hostas flower bud.

• Rhonda Clements

hosta flower

• Wanda sinnema

hostas flower spike. They come in many colors,, and heights.. and all a nice scent and vary with variety..

• Liz Weiss

The host flower. Most have a wonderful fragrance.

• Ewo12552396

Hosta flower!

• Kathy

Blossom