Charlotte G
Charlotte G
  • Atlanta, GA

This came up in my garden.....does anybody know what it is ?

Car9802402Gabrielle FalkRichard Martin
+20

q this came up in my garden does anybody know what it is, gardening
  • Walter Reeves

it's a latticed stinkhorn....harmless you can see more details on stinkhorns at my website

But I can see how its arrival would give one pause!

• Charlotte G

thank you so much... i can see where it gets it name....

• Laurie S

the squirrels eat them at my house. It's nice to know what it is called.

• Sandy H

They attract flies to spread their spores. They can be disgusting looking. I find them in my mulch at the lakehouse frequently.

• Kim W

They smell horrible. Where there is one, there will probably eventually be more. They like to pop up where there is fresh mulch or pine bark. We had a bumper crop of them after having several pine trees removed from our property. They come from little white egg looking pods? Look around, you may see some of those.

• Janice C

skunk cabbage ugh

• Trish F

I think I would be asking, "How do I get rid of them", LOL

• Susie W

OMG I have had this in my flower beds before, was coral colored , looked like an octopus, and the odor was like what I would imagine the Devil himself might smell like!

• Angie G

I had some two summers ago, and they STINK!

• Cheryl E

They are the natural consequence of decomposing organic matter. The specific species is determined by the material that is decomposing. Short of removing the mulch, the purpose of which is (among others) to add organic matter to your soil (critical to soil health), there's little to be done except wait for the fungus's "food" to sufficiently decay such that the fungus has nothing more to "feed" on and dies.

• Billye K

Had them last summer. Very weird! Then they started to smell. Yuck!!! Nice to know it has a name. But how do you prevent them so they don't come back???

• Rebecca W

All of these posts are great information.

• John W

its a raddish seed

• Carol H

Glad don't have them in my area, pew maybe pour straight vinigar on them, just don't get it on your plants

• Betsie D

It looks like Audrey from LIttle Shop of Horrors.

• Joan

I had shotgun fungus....looked more like male anatomy...was told to take a plastic bag and remove it....do not touch...discard. They stinklike dog dodo.....disgusting stuff

• JosephandRebecca Glover

It is a columned stinkhorn fungi ,very smelly.We have them in Florida.

• Mikell Paulson

Maybe some soil sweetener might help! That way they might not come back. Pine and other compost can be acidic.

• Richard Martin

It looks very much like orange puffball fungi. NOT EDIBLE.

• Gabrielle Falk

Looks like a type of fungus. Be careful. It could be toxic. Probably best to remove wearing gloves.

• Car9802402

That look like a spoiled fruit and seeds start germinating from it