Meredith Greenberg
Meredith Greenberg
  • Redondo Beach, CA

How To Create A Wooden Crate Rolling Storage Ottoman

$0

Summer is almost here. Although it doesn’t quite feel like it here in Southern California. Mostly because of the June gloom that we experience every year. I am not complaining. I actually enjoy this weather a lot. It is mild, cool, and breezy here by the beach. It’s the perfect time to DIY. No heat to have to worry about. I had a fun project idea come to me. I was inspired on Pinterest by these wooden crates that I had seen some other talented bloggers make into cute storage ottomans. I decided to do my own spin on this fun and easy project that could work in or outdoors!
how to create a wooden crate rolling storage ottoman, how to, painted furniture, storage ideas, reupholster, woodworking projects
Supplies you will need for this project. - Cordless Drill - Wooden Crate (You can find them at your local larger craft store). I decided to paint my crate with a light gray, but you can stain it or leave it all natural. - 4 Casters (wheels for your ottoman) - Plywood pieces 2 cut to the size of my wood crate top. Your crate may have different dimensions. Make sure to measure. I created a lip for my lid so that hinges were not required. I wanted the top to stay in place. - Batting – I wanted to prove how thrifty you can be with DIY. I took batting from an accent pillow I no longer use and repurposed as cushion on the lid. - Fabric of your choice. I used some I had in my own stock. Less than 1 yard was necessary for this project. - Spray Adhesive - Staple gun with staples - Sandpaper - Wood glue - Wood screws 1″ - Measuring tape - Pencil - Metal 18″ ruler - Scissors
Attach your wheels to the base of your crate. My most important tool on this project my new cordless drill. I love that it is so compact and lightweight. It doesn’t make DIY taxing like heavier power tools can. This drill is perfect for smaller DIY projects.
Measure out the top of the lid dimensions based on the exterior dimensions of the crate. My first piece of plywood needed to be cut to 16 5/8″ x 18 3/4.” I did this at home because I have a circular saw, but you can have your plywood cut to size at most home supplier stores like Home Depot. I wanted my second piece of plywood for the lid to sit within the crate a little to make sure it was snug and secure. I didn’t want to use hinges on this project. My second set of dimensions were 12 3/4″ x 16 3/4.” Please measure your crate prior to having the plywood cut. Don’t forger to to sand the edges of the pieces. No splinters! Then you will want to use your pencil to place and trace the edges the smaller wood piece in the right place. Take wood glue and screws to attach the two pieces together.
Attach the batting to the top of the plywood lid with spray adhesive. I had to feng shui mine since I upcycled my batting from and old pillow. You can purchase batting in rolls and upholstery foam would also work. Cover your lid with fabric and secure it with a staple gun. Once you have properly secured it, trim the fabric so that there isn’t a lot of excess hanging. AND There you have it.
Check out this FULL TUTORIAL for more information and direct links to products used.

• Wooden Crate  (Joann's Fabrics)
  • Chalk Paint

Meredith Greenberg

• Divababiexoxo

I buy those crates at Micheal's, different sizes.
  • Joanie

I love this idea.... .....put your feet up, storage and on wheels.....can't beat this project........I'd love to have one, for sure!!