How do you clean hard water spots on shower doors?

+68
What will clean years of hard water spots on shower doors?
q hard water spots, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, home maintenance repairs, house cleaning, The cloudiness is the hard water spots
The cloudiness is the hard water spots
q hard water spots, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, home maintenance repairs, house cleaning
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 27, 2016
    Try mixing white vinegar,water, and a little dawn into a spray bottle.
  • Nancy Canup Gravitt Nancy Canup Gravitt on Jun 27, 2016
    A magic eraser takes it all off. Yes it takes a little elbow grease but with a little added baking soda and and a fee drops of vinegar it is clean as a whistle. The magic eraser will also take ALL the black marks from the bottom of a fiberglass shower or tub. My showers and tubs are the cleanest they have ever been with just a a few cents once or twice a month. The soap scum from the walls of the shower comes off too. To use the recipe above and make it even faster and simpler just grab a magic eraser, but don't totally soak the eraser just spray the walls and rub it with the eraser. I don't use anything but the eraser, but for really bad ones I might try the spray solution.
  • Alb4470084 Alb4470084 on Jun 27, 2016
    Try windshield washer fluid.
  • Lawrence Lindsay Lawrence Lindsay on Jun 27, 2016
    Cut an orange in half and use as a sponge.. Works wonderful and smells great too
  • Linda Sommer Wilkin Linda Sommer Wilkin on Jun 27, 2016
    Once you get your doors clean, make sure the doors are wiped down after ever shower. Been doing this for a long time and have never had to clean the hard water stains again. It takes just a minute to do.
  • Sharyn Diaz Sharyn Diaz on Jun 27, 2016
    :) Nancy's answer...Mr Clean magic eraser IS the best way to clean soap residue and scuff marks off of walls, furniture etc. My grandchildren's white laminate table came out so spotlessly clean it looked new.
  • Lor5215856 Lor5215856 on Jun 27, 2016
    CLR cleaner is another great option.
  • Bri7289753 Bri7289753 on Jun 27, 2016
    Neat methylated spirits using a soft facial cleansing pad. Clean as normal afterwards with window cleaner mixed with white vinegar. If it's really bad you may have to use methylated spirits a couple of times.
  • Andrea Andrea on Jun 27, 2016
    Lime-Away works great. Investing in a water softener is definitely worth the money, it will save your pipes, water heater, dishwasher, washing machine, sinks, coffee maker, etc ... oh and soft water saves you on soap and detergents, does wonders for your hair and has helped my husband's psoriasis significantly.
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Jun 27, 2016
    Once clean you may want to use the auto windshield product RainX. and keep a squeegie in the shower.
  • David David on Jun 27, 2016
    Make up some kettle de-scaler in a bowl and use a clean 2" paint brush, work with the tip of the brush in round movements, easy peasy!
  • Patty Patty on Jun 27, 2016
    I finally got tired of trying all commercial and home mad products, took the doors off and pressure washed them, the I used automotive Turtle wax on the inside only and they look brand new. I wax them 2 x a year and have never had to pressure was them for the last 5 years. Good luck.
  • Nancyb Nancyb on Jun 27, 2016
    Clear shampoo (daily cleansing type) and a one of those nylon fluff balls for scrubbing. Rinse and squeegee.
  • Mary Thorne Mary Thorne on Jun 27, 2016
    Mix equal parts of Dawn dish liquid and cleaning vinegar.
  • Debbie Cook Debbie Cook on Jun 27, 2016
    There is a product called Bar Keepers Friend sold by the Comet in stores. Get a blue sponge with the scrubbing surface, caution DO NOT use the green as it scratches glass. Make a paste and apply to the surface and let stand for a few minutes. It dissolves the crusty around faucets too, so then take the damp blue scrubbing side of the sponge and scrub away. It may take a few applications to get it all but you don't need to do it often after that. Get a squeegee and use it after every shower then use the corner of your towel to wipe the water left. You will rarely have to deep clean the door again!
  • Eva Eva on Jun 27, 2016
    used dryer sheets sometimes help
  • Moi7076837 Moi7076837 on Jun 27, 2016
    wipe them down after every shower
    • Marilulu Grant Marilulu Grant on Aug 07, 2017
      Great idea but my kids don't do it even though the squeegee is right in front of their nose in the shower.
  • Annie Doherty Annie Doherty on Jun 27, 2016
    Mix white vinegar and baking soda into a spray bottle, soak and wipe with a non scratch cloth, may need a rub to begin with but does work, use regularly worth a try, it works for me goid luck.
  • Colleen Klug Colleen Klug on Jun 27, 2016
    I seem to recall Dr Oz guest using spray on PAM type oil...then of course wash down the tub carefully so oil doesn't cause a slip and fall...
  • Kristal Monasmith Kristal Monasmith on Jun 27, 2016
    Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, hands down the easiest way to clean a rub and shower.
  • Susan Susan on Jun 27, 2016
    Turtlewax Rubbing Compound - UNBELIEVABLE results! And super EASY. Apply with a damp sponge, let it dry and remove the film with a rough towel or handful of burlap. Hardly any elbow grease required.
    • See 2 previous
    • Susan Susan on Jun 28, 2016
      Our water here in West Texas is known for being very, very hard water. Best results with rubbing compound after trying almost everything mentioned. The worst was from the well water sprinkler system hitting windows for years on end. Horrible but came right off.
  • Sherry Sherry on Jun 27, 2016
    Once a month wipe down the doors/walls with dryer fabric softener . Let sit for a minute or two. Rinse off. Easiest removal I have ever used.
  • Betty Walker Betty Walker on Jun 27, 2016
    CLR
  • Marilyn Marilyn on Jun 27, 2016
    My husband and I had rental property and this is what worked for us. Buy CLR in a silver colored plastic bottle. Pour it into a spray container. Spray directly on to the area and walk away for 30 minutes. Use a green scrubby pad (I think it is 3M from Walmart) to clean as much off as possible. Rinse and repeat as needed. Do NOT use the scrubby on the shower because it will scratch but it won't hurt glass. After you get it clean you can buy the CLR spray shower cleaner to keep it clean but you need straight CLR to start. Also, another product that works is Naval Jelly. It is more difficult to find but we purchased it at Ace Hardware. If you switch to liquid soap rather than using bar soap your shower and doors will stay clean longer.
  • Cass Cass on Jun 27, 2016
    Try CLR
  • Jimmie B Jimmie B on Jun 27, 2016
    Head and Shoulders, one squirt on a scrubby
  • Jill Carpenter Jill Carpenter on Jun 27, 2016
    On glass only-the finest grade steel wool and Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend or another non-abrasive scrub. Oddly enough WD40 works on the shower walls.
  • Ducky Ducky on Jun 27, 2016
    Spray called Lime Away.
  • DarWat DarWat on Jun 27, 2016
    Any cheap shampo. Squirt on one of the net body scrubs you can get at Walmart for $1. Scrub the doors real good. Rinse. For a heavy build up, you may have to do this several times before you get it all off. Once clean, scrub weekly while taking your shower. I have used cheap baby shampoo for years to do this. This is a hint from Heloise from years back. Will ask work on your tile.
  • Kel4380798 Kel4380798 on Jun 27, 2016
    Vinegar
  • Vickiebabbitt Vickiebabbitt on Jun 27, 2016
    Amazzing glass paste . Window shop sales it usually. It works on hard waters in showers ,windows, glass
  • Jean Schmidt Tieche Jean Schmidt Tieche on Jun 27, 2016
    Spray a laundry stain remover (I use OxiClean Laundry Stain Remover) on the glass and let set a short time. Wipe off the hard water stains with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I have great luck with this easy method.
  • Shirley Shelburn Shirley Shelburn on Jun 28, 2016
    Hair conditioner and a squeeze. Works great and smells good too.
  • Karen White Karen White on Jun 28, 2016
    Heat up white vinegar in microwave and add Dawn dish liquid. Spray and let sit for awhile. Go back in about an hour and scrubs right off. Our shower was terrible. It came right off. I tried everything before this. Equal parts vinegar and Dawn.
  • Alice Alice on Jun 28, 2016
    I haven't tried it on glass shower doors but Clorox Disinfecting Wipes have cleaned everything I've tried them on so far.
  • Marge Marge on Jun 28, 2016
    following
  • Jean griffin Jean griffin on Jun 28, 2016
    DRY 0000 steel wool. 0000 is the finest grade of steel wool. It removes all water stains and soap scum with elbow grease. My door loks brand new.
  • Clplott Clplott on Jun 29, 2016
    Soft Scrub & a Magic Eraser, Abracadabra!
  • Sue7813486 Sue7813486 on Jun 29, 2016
    After they're nice and clean, keep them that way by using a squeegee and a microfiber towel to dry. Don't forget to dry the door handles and faucet areas.
  • Gwen Barham Loftus Gwen Barham Loftus on Jun 30, 2016
    My cleaning lady used "Shout" liquid spray and my doors would look great! After cleaning them she wiped them down with an unused dryer sheet to make the water 'bead' off. Worked great.
  • Mow1194342 Mow1194342 on Jul 02, 2016
    Try The Works bathroom cleaner 99 cent store it smells funky but it kicks butt on old showers and tubs