Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL
Asked on Jun 1, 2012

More wildlife - Hawk

Susan SSherrie SRebecca D
+14

The pictures are not clear because they were taken from inside the patio screen. The second picture has a red winged blackbird that is trying to chase the hawk. Usually it takes a few birds to accomplish that.
Hawk looking for lunch
Hawk looking for lunch
Red Wing blackbird beating Hawk
Red Wing blackbird beating Hawk
  • Susan S

WOW!!!!!! Hawk was probably getting a little too close to the other guys nest!! How aweswome that you could actually get a picture of this!!

• Sherrie S

Susan, He was only a few feet from the window. That little bird kept flying and hitting him & he barely moved. The hawk is usually walking around in the backyard looking for something. Sorry no yellow rose pictures yet because it has been raining every day - I'm thankful.

• Great shots..... Watching nature on TV (even HDTV) is one thing. Seeing it in person is soooo much better. Now if we could just add the voice commentary of that honeybadger guy. lol

• Sherrie S

So today the pest control people told me the hole under the house was made by an armadillo. Told to put dog hair by the hole and he will leave. Got plenty dog hair so I'll try that. They are uglier than the possom but eat grubs, insects and ants. Predators are bobcats, cougars, wolves, bears, raccoons and even some of the larger hawks and other birds of prey will also attack and devour an armadillo. Nature takes care of itself.

• Susan S

And before you ask: A baby hawk is called an eyas. The female adult hawk is called a hen and a male adult hawk is called a tierce. A group of hawks is called aerie, cast or kettle. Nothing specific on what baby red winged black birds are called: When a pair of blackbirds is matched up, they will build a nest. Nests are cup-shaped and made of marsh grasses or reeds attached to cattails or rushes. Sometimes they will build it in a shrub. Each pair of blackbirds will raise two or three broods in a season, building a new nest each time. This probably keeps nests from getting infested with parasites which could kill baby birds. Three to five pale blue eggs are laid in a nest. Eggs are spotted with brown or purple. And last but certainly not least, a baby armadillo is a pup!!

• Sherrie S

Susan, thank you but you are killing me with the info. You are making me crazy. Armadillo is a PUP? My baby dogs were PUPS, not armadillos. Just wait until I send the yellow rose picture. I'll put an end to this because I must stop smiling. You make me smile.

• Susan S

Oh yeah and SMILING is a bad thing, right? You started this, just remember and I was only trying to stay one step ahead of you!!! ;~)

• Sherrie S

You Won but keep it up! Smiles are goood.

• Nancy Rhodes C

There were hawks in my neighborhood I heard. I know why - I saw a 4 or 5 foot long snake in my grass. We figure the hawks got him.

Sherrie, you could have an entire season of "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" filmed in your yard, and, yes, I know I'm dating myself with that comment.

• Becky H

I'm admiring the lush setting the hawk is under attack in!

• Susan S

@Doug - Oh not necessarily!! I don't know if it's new shows or repeats but I think it's being shown on Sunday morning. Wasn't it Marlin Perkins who hosted it originally (Ah Hem - NOW WHO'S DATING THEMSELVES?) I think Jack Hanna is doing it now, unless I'm terriably confused!!

• Rebecca D

To my fellow Home talkers... Ceck out, the Eagle cam wired science.com ? 2012 The baby eagles are ready to fledge the nest. They hatched in March Been watching these little peeps grow. They are huge now.

• Sherrie S

Susan S, here are the little yellow roses - Just to say thank you for naming all my wildlife.

q more wildlife hawk, patio, pets animals, many buds waiting to openq more wildlife hawk, patio, pets animals, close up of YELLOW roses
  • Susan S

Sherrie - THANK YOU SOOOO VERY MUCH!!! Those are beautiful and well worth the wait!! U iz my friend ;~)

• Sherrie S

They're not the greatest but they are yellow. I'm looking for more wildlife today.

• Susan S

You hear NO complaints from me!!! Wildlife - just sit vweeeey vweeeey still -and they will come! ;~)