Rustic Farmhouse Kitchen Makeover

We moved into our home last August and this was one of our first projects, to make this dark dungeon of a kitchen into a space that was light and airy!

rustic farmhouse kitchen makeover

We stripped down the walls and took down all the scalloped molding. We also took all the cabinets off so that everything could be painted as well.

rustic farmhouse kitchen makeover, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, paint colors, painting cabinets

We took out all the previous lighting, light switches and molding that we wanted to replace

Our progress images - all while I was 9 months pregnant!!

My father helped us redesign everything and replace moldings and mold the beams as well. We took out all the barn wood that they used for the walls and the counter sides and replaced it with bead board.

After all the new molding and bead board was up and caulked. We installed the gorgeous farmhouse sink and delta faucet! Afterwards, the new counterops were installed

Lastly was our under cabinet lighting and the subway tile backsplash!

Lastly, my favorite part! The decorating! I chose to have a bright rug with a fun pattern since the kitchen was so white and neutral. I have since updated it with a braided neutral rug but I am sure I will change my mind again soon! :)

Lindsay Coughlin

• Deborah Schott

The title of the article says “what you should never paint white in your kitchen”. You never said what that is, and it looks like everything is white. Just wondering because I’m getting ready to paint ours white.

• Toni Anderson

Love your kitchen excellent job!! Could the Refrigerator be recessed into the wall or

A counter depth refrigerator??

• Lynn Anderson Newsom

getting ready to paint my kitchen white, did you sand your cabinets or just paint...great job.

• Kari Anne Horstman

I cleaned mine with TSP, then rinsed, let dry completely. Then sanded. Wiped down with a cheesecloth. Primed with zinsser 123. Then painted 2 coats of high hide white. I’ve had mine painted 6 years with no trouble spots. Decided to changed it up last year and painted the bottom cabinets a shade of blue.

Your prep work makes ALLLLL the difference.

• Carol

My kitchen is dark cabinets too and I want to paint the cabinets white. I wanted Bead Board cabinet doors but my daughter said they cost too much, so I'm thinking of buying sheets of Bead Board look paneling, cutting it and putting it on the doors with 1/4 round. The difference is I am going to paint my walls a pale sage, just to add a little color and I'm going to use formica for my countertop. So glad you posted this, so I can get an idea of what mine will look like. It really looks nice and brightens up the kitchen.

• Joanna

Awesome, you did a gorgeous job, I love everything in your kitchen, my only question is how you do bead counters?

Thanks