Lori P
Lori P
  • Colfax, LA
Asked on Jun 10, 2012

Need an inexpensive partition for my hallway that looks nice and is able to be open/closed or raised/lowered.

Betty FarnsworthKMS WoodworksMiriam I
+7

The partition is to keep dogs from the back of my house. It must be low enough to keep small dogs from going under and tall enough to keep agile dogs from jumping over. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • KMS Woodworks

Get a decent baby gate, they come in lots of styles and designs....I have dozens of clients that use these for medium sized dogs. Some really big dogs may want to jump it....but that is more of a training issue. what breeds do you have?

• Dee W

Baby gates work great and can be removable to be put away or attached to the wall and used as a "gate"-that swings open. My daughter has a Great Dane, a Mountainfest(sp?) and a mini pincher. All respect the gates but like KMS said, "training is an issue." You wouldn't want damage to your walls or heaven forbid one of your dogs because they wanted thru or over. Good Luck!

• Jan C

I use one of those expandable baby gates for mine. It attaches to the wall and hangs 6" above the floor so it's high enough they can't jump over and low enough they can't get under and it swings back out of the way when we are home and they can rome free all over. Love it.

• Lori P

I have 5 dogs total - all rescues. Miniature schnauzer, dachsund mix, beagle, blood hound and lab mix, and the last one I have no idea. Her and the beagle are the jumpers. Have to place one baby gate on top of the other to keep them from jumping over. Need something that is about four feet tall.

• Lori P

Miriam, this is exactly the kind of idea that I am looking for. I thought of using shutters, but never thought of using the smaller type and turning them into a gate. Will have to visit some yard sales or the Restore and see what I can find. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Miriam I

Yay :)

• KMS Woodworks

second Yay to Miriam...I had forgotten about that post

• Betty Farnsworth

I've also seen 1/2 doors put in. They are easy to install and dogs can't move them. Attach a ledge to the door to discourage jumping.