Hydrangea bushes not flowering

+9
I have 3 hydrangea bushes that I've had at least 10 yrs. They grow nicely every year & get plenty of sun. But for the past 4 yrs there have been no blooms. Is there something I should be doing to make this happen?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jul 28, 2016
    Did you do any pruning ? Have you fertilized?
  • Patty Patty on Jul 28, 2016
    Have your soil checked. This will tell you what you need to add to the soil.
  • Eileen Eileen on Jul 28, 2016
    If you are pruning, STOP!! That's why you're not getting flowers. Don't prune, in winter when all you see are sticks, break them off, as long as they don't have buds on them, these are the flowers for next year. Forget pruning!!
  • Edwin Edwin on Jul 28, 2016
    sun???? - i WAS ALWAYS TOLD hYDRANGEAS LIKE shadE
  • WendyFaulkner WendyFaulkner on Jul 28, 2016
    i've just bought a hyrangea and was told and its on the lable they like shade
  • Barbara Barbara on Jul 28, 2016
    I agree on having the soil checked. especially for pH. soil, like a battery must be recharged now and again. but the richest soil cannot do anything for the plant if the "door" to the soil is not open with the proper pH. I also agree with the comment on pruning. You might be cutting off the stems that are harboring next season's beauties. If there is any green inside the stem, its most likely going to produce blossoms. if, as Eileen states, the stem will break, then its dead and merely a vehicle for bugs and disease. back to the pH... acidity or alkalinity is part of what determines the color of the flower. Have fun with that!
  • Roseanna Sansone Greer Roseanna Sansone Greer on Jul 28, 2016
    They like shade and acid soil. When pruning, do so after it quits blooming.
  • Audrey Audrey on Jul 28, 2016
    You have to move your hydrangeas every 6 years. Then it takes a year or two for them to readjust in the soil and start blooming again. I've read about it but can't remember why.
  • Mac8038981 Mac8038981 on Jul 28, 2016
    When finished flowering is time to prune hydrangeas, so that the following year flowering is more intense. Do not cut the branches that have not given flowers, they are the ones who will give flowers the following year.
  • Annette Turner Angus Annette Turner Angus on Jul 28, 2016
    Try adding 1/2 cup of epsom salts and 1 bottle of beer added to 4 litres of water and pour on the ground around the bushes.
  • Barb Barb on Jul 29, 2016
    I do not trim my hydrangea plants. Yes they get really large, so be thoughtful where you put them. Mine are on the north side of my house, which is the front, and the soil stays moist most of the time. I also use fish Mulsion or fish fertilizer mixed with water. This Texas heat this year has been brutal so I have cut the blooms off, but this is a rarity.