Vikki
Vikki
  • Levittown, NY
Asked on Aug 16, 2013

Need roof advice/ideas

SharonLoriVikki
+9

Recently bought our first home and have been inspired here and on Pinterest. Built this out of old apartment kitchen nook and some garage sale French doors. Have too many ideas for a roof and not sure which to do. I thought of fabric (but that won't protect much against weather), plywood with actual shingles (I could raise back a bit so rain rolls off), or corrugated metal (not sure how it looks over time). I'm *very* beginner and would love some ideas and advice. I have red, tan & white floral curtains going in the front (decorative--they'll be kept open) and got some really nice red & tan tapestry outdoor pillows--if that color scheme helps ideas.
q need roof advice ideas, curb appeal, roofing
  • Vikki

FYI my original plan was to use 2 old doors I saved from remodeling inside the house. But once I built the rest I felt like it would be too heavy looking and their condition (years of paint since 1948) wouldn't look as pretty no matter how I sanded and repainted. The French doors (4 for $20) were a rare fund in Long Island. We don't have anything like architectural salvage around here or if I could've found 2 more I would've used that to keep it light and airy but still have some weather protection...

• Miriam I

I'm tagging @No. 29 Design she just posted her porch curtains and I think she'll have some great ideas!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

love the table made from the sewing machine. Wonder if you could use old patio umbrellas in some sort of fashion?

• Anna Ibarra

This is awesome looking, love it. White is perfect, wish I could suggest, but I am not even a beginner, what's before that- a newbie?? Great job.

• Vikki

@donna dixson, thanks--I didn't even feature that lol. Got the antique sewing machine base at a garage sale for $5 bucks. Sanded plywood, paint, and then stenciled using a rubber floor mat actually!

• Larose LoganOakes

Hi Vikki! I am not a roof sortof person but I was wondering if you treated the base of the wood so that it won't rot? I know that you might want to put this lovely building on some type of base maybe use concrete blocks dug into the ground and leveled.Just a thought.:)

• Vikki

I did actually, hopefully it's sufficient. but I might yet do that too, thanks!

• You can purchase plastic panels much like the corrugated metal ones you were speaking about at the big box stores. You can get them in clear, off white, green and some other colors if you special order them. They sell the wood strips that the panels sit on and the special screws to hold them down. Not real expensive and pretty easy to cut and install. Check them out the next time your at those stores. You should find them in the roofing area of the store.

• No. 29 Design

First of all I want one of those in my back yard! Great job. If you want it to be weather proof I would go with the plywood. You can even make fake beams on the inside. If you just want shade protection and don’t mind it getting wet I would do something simple like wood slats (like a pergola). You can always drape cloth through the slate in the summer months and remove it in the winter.

• Vikki

No. 29--check a more recently posted version. I went with cloth for now... But wow why didn't I think of slats or beams?! Easy enough add on at some point, thank you so much!!!

• Lori

I would just drape patio netting it comes in different colors. Costco had some a couple weeks ago.