Porta Verde Studio
Porta Verde Studio
  • Canada
Asked on Aug 16, 2013

Vintage Maple Dresser: Should we have went with black?

Cindy greeneHejeElaine
+154

My partner and I bought this lovely dresser which was covered with a very bad white shiny paint job. He stripped and sanded to bare wood and then painted with a urethane enforced white satin paint. The top, side panels and drawers were stained with a custom tint and then hand-rubbed to a satin finish with oil. Vintage style antique brass pulls were added and she has turned into a french country beauty. One question: Would you have used black instead of white? I thought black would have been dramatic and maybe appeal to more people.
q vintage maple dresser should we have went with black, painted furniture
The finished dresser!
The finished dresser!
The before pic
The before pic
  • I have a similar dresser and painted it almost the same thing. The first go was with ASCP Arles (a deep yellow) and it didn't sell. So I repainted the yellow areas in white - it still hasn't sold. But I love the look of the real wood and the painted sides and rails. Yours looks great.

• Porta Verde Studio

@Heather (New House New Home) Thanks Heather. Our new mandate is to conserve as much wood as possible. Refinishing is difficult and takes more time but I like the end result. Do you have pics of yours?

• Here it is in the Arles. We dark waxed it for some depth. It didn't sell though, sadly. So I repainted it in Old White and it still hasn't sold. Don't have a pic of it in white.

• Teri

The sad thing about today's generation is they don't like old things. Me I love them because they are so sturdy!! It's a beautiful piec.
  • Lucy in the sky

This is just beautiful !!! I think either way, white gives it a soft gentle look and I think black would give it a bolder look I love the wood grain, good choice not painting over the whole dresser !

• Sherrie

The problem is its a speciality piece. It's beautiful but a certain person will have to buy it.. Things that sell quickly are tables, coffee and end tables. I believe it will sell but maybe not quickly. Because its a speciality piece not because its not beautiful.

• Porta Verde Studio

@Sherrie Are you talking about Heather's piece or mine? In my area, dressers sell like hotcakes! Tables, on the other hand, are difficult to move and chairs are very tough to make a profit on. I had a set of 6 antique chairs that were beautiful and ended up giving them to a neighbor because I couldn't sell them.

• Elizabeth

It is indeed a great piece! Kudos!

• Sherrie

I live in Southern Missouri and dressers are harder to move. Tables sale great! In California all this furniture would move! it's so beautiful they would fight over it! area's are different. I honestly would prefer both pieces left with wood on it because it stands out! I also just went to a garage sale and he wanted $50.00 a piece for 2 crappy end tables. here buying old furniture has sky rocketed!

• Porta Verde Studio

@Sherrie I agree that good wood is lovely to refinish but some wood is just not worth the trouble. If this piece was mahogany or a lovely veneer, I would try to save it but for the $$$ people are willing to pay - it's not always feasible to put that amount of work into it. Out of curiousity, I called a refinishing company and asked how much to refinish a 5' plain sideboard (no moldings). They quoted me at $700. It made me much more aware how much refinishing costs and when wood is refinished on a piece, I think it should always be more. As for my dresser, very little is painted but it was just too unappealing without a bit of colour.

• Colleen

I think painting the trim areas black would blend more than the white/cream.

• GranArt

I sure like the white. You could stain the white to a warm tan if you like. But the white makes it pop!

• LaJean Dowty

how much are you asking for it?

• Chantal Frittelli

Think Black would look great.

• Brenda Shoemaker

I like it just as you have it, it is beautiful!

• Amy Furlong

I would have prefered it with more painted areas. I'm not a fan of so much natural wood showing.

• Ruth H

it is beautifull, but belive I would go with black.

• Elizabeth C

I would have preferred black to the white-it would be more versatile as to what space it could be used in such as a dining room, large kitchen or even family room/living room. I like black and natural wood. I just redecorated my dining room with that theme so I am prejudiced.

• RubyHeart

I prefer stain to any color of paint, but if I did want to paint the trim, I would do something subtler, like a whitewash or blackwash. And I would sand down the high spots and edges, letting wood show through areas of the paint, to make it look more timeworn. Oh, and I prefer black to white, but as I said, just a wash.

• Debbie Duart

I think the white makes it look more French country than black. Black is more country or traditional. Anyway it is beautiful. Matter of taste.

• Christine Z

You see black paired with wood finish all the time, everywhere - you have given this piece a very fresh look. The wood finish also turned out beautifully!

• Carol M

It is perfect what you did. ..If you lived close I would like to buy it...

• Lovely Mind

I think black will bring out the grain in the wood. and the accents

• Jackie

French country is all white. Should have gone all white or all wood. Looks like a a couple of pieces fitted together and doesn't know what it wants to be.

• Porta Verde Studio

@Jackie I don't think French Country is all white. Actually, Provence or "french country" furniture also comes in blue and greens and all different shades of colours. French Country is the Americanized term.

• Christine Dorton

Stunning re-do.

• Mary Ann

Don't think it goes together. Like it's not finished one way or the other. Beautiful wood finish

• Carol Talbot-Dobilaitis

I think that the light paint makes the natural wood stand out more. I like it.

• Alma Williams

White helps keep the piece light and more versatile than black trim. Why do you think the wood is maple? I don't think so, regardless of how pretty it is. Good choice; don't second guess!

• Lorrie Muse

Would have gone all natural! If the wood isn't destroyed, I prefer it natural.

• Susie

@Lorrie Muse I agree, if the wood is in good enough shape, natural would have been the way to go. But then again, I am partial to the natural wood look and I use a lot of true oil, to keep the luster of wood protected.

• Cathy C

I think it would look good either way... The white makes the beauty of the wood grain pop... become more prominant... it directs the eye towards making the wood the focus of the piece.... The black would look good and blends the overall piece together making the wood less the focus. I also think it would depend on where the piece was going to be... in a dark or light room, other colors in the room and the overall theme of the area.

• Cynthia Castro

When the wood is dented, scratched or dinged, paint can cover the damage. I prefer natural wood. Mixing it up isn't a bad thing.

• Karen Rousseau

The white look good painted in a medium gray.

• Debra K.

I'm thinking all wood finish also, but if I had to pick...I think a distressed black would have looked nice too. Wonderful job with the finishing though!!

• Kim Sherman

I think black or all natural would have looked better. Don't care for the white but the wood looks beautiful.

• Judith Horton-Holm

I like the finished product!

• Mary Hare

very nice redo

• Suzanne McGeehan Mongeau

I think that black would have been the better choice since the ingrain is dark.

• Sondra A

Very beautiful! I am also into natural wood and love the finish on this. If I had been doing this I would have left the whole thing natural, but the white looks awesome also.

• Kathleen Gensemer

I think its unique as it is ! the white contrasts the wood better.

• Helen Coughenour

it's pretty and I am partial to white, but I think this would be more dramatic in black ..

• Kaye Lewis

I like it, but personally, I would have it all stained - no paint! You would pay a fortune for solid wood furniture made today and it would still never have the craftsmanship and beauty of an antique.

• Barbara

i have one just like that but i had 2 foster children and need some thing to put their clothes in so they were girls so i painted it white and the knobs were wood so i painted them different colors they love it good job like it to

• Danielle L

GONE....not "went!"

• Gail Salminen

@Porta Verde Studio I think you have done a superb job! It looks fantastic and professional. I think the choice between natural, white or black - or any other colour for that matter - is in the preference of the person using it and their need for the room they use the piece in. I usually use black with natural wood, but it does tend to depend on the stain I use as well. Sometimes leave it all wood stain, sometimes mix paint with stain, but I usually try to leave some wood showing. Be proud of your piece and display it proudly. Thanks for sharing :)

• Pat Powell

I too would have went all natural. I just love the look of all natural wood. It is still beautiful as is but just my style. If we all liked the same thing, then the world would be a very dull world wouldnt it?

• Jeanne

I would have gone with stain on the whole thing. Really hate to paint such nice wood.

• Patricia Clark

I would have loved the black

• Theresa

I prefer painting old pieces like this to give them new life, so I would have painted the whole thing black or cream. It makes common wood pieces like this look less like you inherited grandma's old furniture. In my opinion, painting part of it white and finishing the rest of the wood makes it look like you started to prime the piece and then gave up.

• Lorrie Muse

I had a neighbor loading something (a beautiful dresser similar to this one except it had two small top drawers and four bottom drawers that were all inclosed inside two doors that closed over the drawers) complete with wooden rollers, into the back of her car a few years ago. I walked over to offer to help and because I wasn't sure if she was unloading or loading so I asked. She she said loading so I said where are you talking it and she said Goodwill. I was shocked. It was in excellent condition with the exception of a little bit of veneer on one drawer. I said I will take it off your hands and pay you for it. She said you just saved me a trip to Goodwill. I had it cleaned up and the veneer fixed and it stores my quilting tools and some fabric. I get compliments on it all the time. Amazes me when people paint something so beautiful, but I know everyone has different tastes. I'm just glad the piece I found had no previous paint applied.

• Wilma williams

No, I think you did a marvelous job on this item. I love how the wood grain is brought out. You could not have gotten that if you had painted it black. This is a different and unique piece. I say thumbs up to you. Great job.

• Carole

I have no doubt you could have made a great job of it in black, but this is also very lovely! As to what will sell better - who knows! Fantastic job on both the paint and the lovely timber. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not everyone likes the strong colours or the chalk painted furniture that is so popular right now. I have no doubt that if you are trying to sell this piece, it will find a new home eventually - just needs the right buyer. You could drive yourself crazy wondering if you should change the style or colour. I agree with Pat Powell, if we all loved the same things then the world would be a boring place and there would also be too much competition for the same things! I would not change a thing on this piece.

• Mke136057

black would have been my choice.......but the white is ok

• Patty B

Black walnut stain, perhaps...

• DannyJane

I would have gone with all wood and not used paint at all.

• Grammie D

Who checks the English here! "Should we have went ..?" REALLY?

• Suzanne Camp

I vote black!

• Pamela Stenglein

The piece is lovely. Congrats, I can the see all the hard work has paid off. I think keeping the piece in the same values that you received it is was a smart idea. The contrast really accents the beautiful lines and engraving. This would surely be a welcome addition to my home! Keep up the good work!

• Anne

I like it!! Great choice.

• Mary C

the finished product is the best....brings in light and you can really decorate her up.....very lovely....wished i had time to refurbish my things....congratulations on such a great job.... :)

• Polka B

What r u using it for? FRENCH WHITE is nice. Black is ok if you are dong Oriental design. I love French myself.

• Debbie F

Going Vintage ,I think you made the right choice :) Looks Great :) I would have used Glass pulls :)

• TJ

I think your partner did a fabulous refinishing job on the wood. I have to admit I like the white painted highlighting but I would have loved to have seen what it would have looked liked all refinished wood. I would not have like it black.

• Larose LoganOakes

Great job! I like the white with the wood! It is fresher looking! Black can be so depressing.But to each their own.

• Kathleen Matts

I like the French white or maybe all stained the beautiful satin...It's beautiful.

• Eunice Rochner

I would have left it all natural wood. No painting! Although it does look nice. No blk at all.

• Karon Nelson Roberts

I would have left it all Natural wood. Just a light ting stain. I'l all for natural wood and rustic.

• Kelly

it's perfect as you did it!

• Rose Marie S

This is directed to Grammie D in Kenton, OH Who checks the English here! "Should we have went ..?" REALLY. Your criticizing was uncalled for, plus you were so into correcting the English used you didn't even comment on the work they put forth into transforming the old dresser into something new. That is what this post is all about. This post wasn't about English it is about sharing what you can do with something old and how you can change it into a new revived piece of useful and affordable furniture. They did a great job, although I personally would have did it all in the stained wood JMO.

• Patsiemich

lol Rose Marie

• Beverly Gray-Alexander

I know blk is fashionable but I like the way you painted the dresser. You did a great job.

• Joy Hoover

I love painted furniture but this piece I would of sanded and put back to natural. Way to pretty to be covered up with paint

• Sheila G

would have gone with all wood, but it looks great

• Carol Dombach Deckert

It is very eye-appealing but for me, I would appreciate it in black instead of white

• Marty

Suit yourself; I, personally ADORE it!

• Andrea S

White is nice. Black would be too dark.

• Lavachk1

It looks fantastic. Different strokes for different folks. I love it, very appealing.

• Lisa

Personally I would have gone with all wood, but what you did looks great. Don't think the black would have looked as nice.

• Lee Griff

The stain is AMAZING! And I love furniture on wheels : ) It's great!

• Mke136057

I would have gone with black, but only where the white paint is, the drawers are just beautiful

• Linda

I have Beefeater tomatoes. I planted 6 and had to throw out 3 plants, I think we had too much rain this spring and that's what hurt them. I have only had 3 tomatoes so far although there are many on the plants. I also had to throw a few out because they had black spots on them but the rest seem okay. Just haven't had luck with tomatoes in the past two years.

• Julie Benson-Grant

I did something similar, although the whole body was a cream with the top in its natural color with a clear stain (you can see it here: http://onmycreativeside.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/dresser-top.png). The person who bought it loved it, but I have also done a lot of work with black. Love them both! Different strokes for different folks!

• Linda

Sorry was having trouble posting it under the tomatoes comment, it must have went here instead. Nice dresser though.

• Cindy Laskevich

I love your work...it is gorgeous! I am living in a house built in 1870 with lots of painted wood in shiny white. Turns out, the shiny paint was full of lead. (since carefully covered or removed) Please please please make sure you and any reader does the lead swab test before working with old shiny paint! There are inexpensive kits available at home improvement stores that will identify potential risk. Every now and then a horror story pops up about a family tragedy involving renovations and lead paint. It's a cheap kit for checking...quick and easy...better safe than sorry!

• Porta Verde Studio

@Cindy Laskevich Thank you for the reminder about toxic chemicals from the past Cindy. Lead based paint was very common and is very hard on your system.

• Robin Seefahrt

love the dresser, came out nice.

• Connie F

I like to see the grain of the wood, it's beautiful like this!!

• Mindi

The white is nice. Black would of been dark but a nice Ivory, blue,dark red or even dark green would be nice too. It all depends on the placement of the piece and the existing decor. Great job. I know it takes alot of work.

• Jan M

I would paint what you have already white, to black, it shows off the wood more. Just my opinion. :)

• Linda

I love it like this. I think black would be lovely too but I think the white actually gives it a slightly more current "vibe" !

• Linda

Also beautiful job on the stripping!

• Lois Walls

I think it's beautiful just the way it is!! Great job!!

• Cindy Small

I love the idea of black, the drawers are gorgeous!

• KathrynElizabeth Etier

This turned out beautifully, I think nicer than the black would have been. I would have gone with a color, though, because I've done too much white and off-white.

• Porta Verde Studio

@KathrynElizabeth Etier I know what you mean! I try not to do white but when your selling, it just seems to be one of the colours that people gravitate towards. I LOVE doing furniture red but that colour seems to be a "hard" sell.

• Eleanor P

I like it just the way it is. I am not fond of the color black so it is never my first choice. You did a great job - very pretty.

• Kristi Suigussaar

I think black

• Nancy G

I love the juxtaposition of the wood and the white! stunning!!!!

• Nancy G

glad you liked my comment. I've been dealing w/2 very sick cats for the past couple of wks and haven't had time to do any "fun" stuff!

• Porta Verde Studio

@Nancy G I hope they get well soon Nancy. We used to have 2 Himalayans and I know that cats are a big part of the family.

• Kitty

The dresser looks great. I like the wood with the white for the contrast. I suppose a dark color would be great too but the contrast wouldn't be as noticeable. You've done a wonderful job! You needn't second guess yourself. It's lovely.

• Genny Long

I love this idea! And, I have a lot of old furniture! Thanks for sharing your idea.

• Nita Osborne

It looks beautiful!

• Dianne Staples

I like the white, black would have made it to heavy looking. Good job.

• Pia Lyotier

Absolutely gorgeous job @Hometalk

• Lis199828

I did one similar to yours but went with stain. Black stain on top and sides, drawers were a mahogany, wooden pulls in black again. Came out fab! Loved the 2 tone effect.

• Linda

I love the white with the dark wood and accents. Gorgeous!

• Columbia1

I think it is great the way it is. I am working on a 60's drop leaf table to make it into a desk and this gives me another idea to think about.

• Christine Dorton

You did a terrific job. Love the results and I would not be opposed to black. To me, black is like puntuation at the end of a sentence.

• Terri Johnson

leave it the way it is. The dresser looks good.

• Paula Singleton Clarke

I have been wanting to do something like this to a dresser and vanity I have. The drawers are a beautiful burl wood and I did not want o cover them with paint but the sides and the top need some help! Thanks for showing what a natural and paint finish would look like. I now have the courage to do it!

• Mary Byrne

What a beautiful piece and you did lovely work with it. The white makes it crisp and fresh looking, where as I think the darker color would have dragged it down and you would not be able to enjoy that lovely wood.

• Marion Nesbitt

After all the work of stripping off the paint, why not stain the entire piece?

• Cathy Lothamer

It looks beautiful.....I would only change the drawer pulls.

• Brittani Scott

White looks great!! Have you thought about changing out (or painting) the hardware to bring the white to the inside as well? I think it'd pull it all together very nicely ;)

• LaVida

Stain or black would have given you a much richer look. The drawer pulls are beautiful the way they are!

• Carol Talbot-Dobilaitis

I love it just the way it is. The white helps to show off the beautiful wood. and the pulls are great. Don't change a thing. I love it.

• Elizabeth

Are you selling it? If more people respond "black" rather than "white", would you repaint it? The point is, you have done a lovely job. If it's a piece that you are keeping, then your enjoyment of it is the bottom line. So, enjoy: you have successfully tackled the challenge, & it looks great. :)

• Renee Seeling

No...I like the white too. Black would have made the detail hard to see. Gorgeous wood! I love it when you can still see the wood....as long as it is nice looking and this IS nice looking. Now I need to find a dresser like this one..... VERY nice job.

• Jackie

I love to paint vintage pieces and think the white is beautiful and shows off the natural wood. I also think a mat black would be nice. Just prefer the clean look of the white. Great job.
  • Nancy

Black would have been my choice. If the drawer pulls are brass, you can clean them in boiling hot vinegar. Works great.
  • Sherrie

White sells better than black.
    Rules
    Never ask people if they like your stuff. You will get a zillion answers it is almost depressing. if you put it up for sell and no one buys it then you know it's not appealing l.
    The door pulls of it any antique or vintage I kind of leave them the way they are more apealing they are aged like the piece. But if they are great pieces and you want to clean them boiling water or a scrub bush and not water. Me I like the old look i love the fact they have aged to perfection and leave them. If they are really ugly and not wome with great hardware I replace it.
  • Colomedicaid

Make everything match simple black lacquer wood trick..spray paint w back gloss a few coats works but between coats use regular car wax it fills in any holes and cracks wout sanding and buffs to beautiful shine wout polish. Should work same on any color. easy cheap fast effective way to clean up any awful paint.
    • Porta Verde Studio

Thanks for sharing that interesting technique. Would the wax not resist the lacqurr in between coats? Does it have to be gloss paint?
  • Colomedicaid

no resistace did my waterbed and old headboard i had found in the alley. Gloss of course because the wax shines. Dont be fooled the spray paint from dollar tree works as well as expensive brabd Learned this technique from auto body work worjs great to acheive pearl white finishes just remeber that primer undercoat color dictates the shades outcome
  • Pat

Love it very glad you did not paint it black

• Teri

I would maybe wipe a ligh stain over the white to blend with the wood. Nothing heavy just light touch. Make it look less stark. Don't go black.

• Leslie Hume

I like the white but would have LOVED the black
  • Deb7045050

No it’s beautiful
  • Rbo29397150

Nice job.
  • Amazing Grace !

I would have used a black walnut stain instead of painting it white... then a coat of poly.. but since you already painted it white, if it were my piece I would paint the white black. I feel like the colors are fighting with each other... Just my opinion for what it is worth!
  • Marion Nesbitt

Prefer refinished to its original.
  • Elaine

While I like white painted furniture, I prefer more of an antiqued white so it isn’t too bright and to me, it looks richer and less “kitchen-y” if you know what I mean. I also like to see a piece of furniture done in all one color. You’ve done a nice job but since you are asking, I would prefer to see less of a contrast and the white changed to blend in with the rest of the piece. I also like the hardware exactly as it is ... as it suits the chest of drawers. Hardware in too bright of a color, or shine, would look “off”. I also can envision this chest painted in a rich, darkish historical green or blue with an antiqued finish applied over the final coat. As long as you are happy, that’s all that matters!
  • Heje

I think it is beautiful as it is. Black would make it look too dark.

• Cindy greene

Should have left the natural color.