Vintage Spindle Snowmen

Pick up some old spindles at your local salvage store and turn them into adorable snowmen that will liven up your space all winter long.
Earlier this Fall I picked up this ginormous box of vintage spindles at an auction. I have no idea what someone needed with all of those spindles... but now they are mine ;) (and I will have a never-ending stock of spindles for years to come!)
There were a lot of different styles and lengths and the score also included these spindle tops.
When I was looking through the tops, I thought they would make really cute hats for snowmen... and the spindle snowman idea was born ;)
With the spindles being thin, they would not stand on their own. I needed something to keep them upright and these little wood slices were just the right size.
By gluing the spindle onto the wood slice they got the stability they needed to stand and it was in keeping with the rustic look of the snowmen.
To make the wood slices look like they were snow covered, I painted them with Fusion Mineral Paint in Casement.
Since I wanted the snow to look even more realistic, I took a little of the Casement and added some Fusion Fresco.
The thick mixture was ideal and held it's shape once it was "painted" on.
I looove how the Fusion Fresco mixed with the Casement makes it look like real snow!
For the actual spindle snowmen, I gave them one coat of the Casement, and then added Coal Black faces and buttons and Fort York Red hats.
These little guys are just so darn cute and I am so glad to have found something to do with at least a few of the spindles ;)
Pop over to the blog to see more pictures and many other DIY paint projects...

• Spindles
  • Fusion Mineral Paint Casement, Fort York Red, Coal Black  (Local Stockist)
  • Wood Slice

Recreated Designs

• Mar13515435

What are hats made from?

• Vickie

for the hats crafters felt. it is relatively cheap. usually 25 cents to 33 cents per square at Wal-Mart.