Asked on Jan 15, 2017

1st Flr Semi Adaptive Reno

Linda Diane GriffinRobyn GarnerSandy Rolon
+3

I have been trying to come up with a functional way to get around my house
  • Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

If you can get this pictured with better sizes marked perhaps we can help. It looks as though you are trying to fit too many elements into too small a space.

• Sandy Rolon
      Sandy Rolon

My chicken scratch, novice to this process. I'm a disabled Veteran I'm trying to figure out a better flow so I don't bump into things... semi adaptive setting.... I, occasionally, use a cane to get around but with the reality check that as I age it will become a walker or wheelchair.

• Grace Gleason
    Grace Gleason

Also, when you redo the drawing, have all the names/words so they can be read from one direction. I can't turn the computer monitor over. And print - don't write. Not complaining, that's just how it's normally done. We do want to help you. ;-)

• Sandy Rolon
    Sandy Rolon

I won't be redoing drawing, cause it's my chicken scratch, novice to this process. I'm a disabled Veteran I'm trying to figure out a better flow so I don't bump into things... semi adaptive setting.... I, occasionally, use a cane to get around but with the reality check that as I age it will become a walker or wheelchair.

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

One thing that may be most helpful is to plot the room out on graph paper. Then you can use the same proportions to cut out your furniture pieces on graph paper, allowing you to "move things around" just by using the pieces of paper.

You should also look up the clearances necessary for disabled use.

• Linda Diane Griffin
    Linda Diane Griffin

Sandy, first and most importantly, Thank you for your service! From your drawings I see that there is an entrance on the right side of your drawing. There is a wall on the right that has vents and a radiator as you enter and you face a wall. This is your closet/mudroom. Have you moved the steps for the lift chair already? Is this an area that is causing you problems? I also see you have a half bath at the other end and again is this something that causes/ or will cause you issues later? Your kitchen, does it need to be updated to give you access if you were in a wheelchair? Do some walls need to be opened up to give you more space? I am only on the main floor... What state do you live in? Have you contacted your Veterans Affairs to see if you are able to get some help in making your home more accessible? I am sorry I can't give you a magic wand to fix this but I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless our Veterans!