Asked on Dec 13, 2013

What Would You Do??

Tanya HoughLinda TBunny Fisher
+52

Here is a piece that my Hubs bid on and I am not sure why.. We have thought about putting it on a spare leg that is large in size from an old table and putting flowers in it.. Repurpose it as a planter with silk flowers.. What would you do????
  • Christina Shettle-Charney
    Christina Shettle-Charney

convert it into a water feature for the garden.

• Carole
    Carole

Polish it up (or not if you want it rustic) and invert it and use it as a ceiling light shade. Perhaps it could hang low over a dining table or be used as a shade for a standard lamp if you could find a base for it. Might make an interesting feature as floor lamp in a corner over an armchair?

• Nancy Gramm
    Nancy Gramm

I think it's gorgeous! How tall is it? How big around? I'm thinking it would make a spectacular table base, turned either way, if you sawed the cone part off a bit. With the larger end turned up, you could fit the sawed off cone with a wooden base and use a round glass table top. Turned the other way, the large end would be the footer and the sawed off cone could be fitted with a wooden table top. Am I making sense? Or maybe plant the pointed cone end into the ground to make an outdoor table. I'm not so much seeing it as a planter/vase, though it probably would be spectacular. You'd just need to find a container to fit inside to hold dirt/water. Whatever you decide, I think it's exceptionally pretty. Kudos to your hub.

• Sandy N
    Sandy N

I like the hanging lamp idea!

• Connie Smith
    Connie Smith

It would be silk flower arrangement. Ladies, it is a very thin piece it is an old speaker for a very old record player. You could not use anything heavy on it.. I have a piece that is a very old base for a table that we have fit it on already. Just wanted a few more ideas. I do like the light idea. This piece is 36" tall and round is about 20in. A bit large for me to use as a light.. But I will be selling it. Thanks so much ladies for giving me more to think about.. Love this sight..

• Connie Hall
    Connie Hall

I love it too, and like Nancy, my first thought is a table base, If cutting the point of is a problem (its metal right?), maybe you could drill out a hole in a block of wood to fit over it and give some support for your table top.

• As a flower vase, I would put it into a wrought iron planter stand as a base.

what would you do, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, It would look great in something like this
  • Trent-Tonya Sharp
    Trent-Tonya Sharp

i vote for the lamp or water fall in garden.. i cant wait to see

• Connie Smith
    Connie Smith

Thanks all of you for your thoughts... I will be sure to post my after..

• Mary C
    Mary C

can you not plant real flowers in it? it's a wonderful peice and i like all of the ideas...perhaps u could try them all out until u find the one u like best....i think a beautiful glass gazing ball would look very nice in it....with some flowers planted around the base....it appears to have a nice circle shape so it would hold the ball well...

• Elayne Johnson
    Elayne Johnson

I'd paint it a bright color, put it in the garden with a giant hummingbird hovering in front of it.

• Patricia Mcivor
    Patricia Mcivor

I have moved into a smaller home and now my 45 yr old son has come to live with me. Well I don't just have the piece you've got but I have the whole cock and caboodle. Yes the gramophone. Hurray. (Hmm)

• Connie Smith
    Connie Smith

If I planted real flowers in it I would be afraid it would eventually rust clear through.. It is rather thin metal. I don't want it to rust out. So as for an outside piece it would be on a porch or patio.. I am thinking the idea of a light under a patio.. I have a real tall ceiling in my patio.. HMMM just might be what I need.. I will post after pic..

• Kim L
    Kim L

I would paint or spray the entire thing, inside & out with a couple coats of Rustoleum (either clear or a bright color), then insert the tip of the base into the ground until the rim touches the soil (at an angle), then load the thing up with some soil and beautiful perennials or ever growing greenery. Sure wish I could find one of those for my garden - I'll certainly be on the lookout now!!! What you have is absolutely beautiful!!! AND......DO so insert a large hummingbird or a few small ones in with the decor as it looks like a hummingbird flower to begin with!!! Good luck to you!!!

• Brendalee Perryman
    Brendalee Perryman

i was going with hanging lamp.. only high in entry.. its great..love it!

• Arlene
    Arlene

I would make a water feature for the garden

• Jack Franssen
    Jack Franssen

oh it's so ugly you should ship it to me I would then make a planter like Connie was saying with cascading flowers flowing out of it

• Allie
    Allie

attach it to a sprinkler head & make a watering fountain in one if your flower beds .

• Nancy Hatcher
    Nancy Hatcher

You could make a bell by attaching a clapper. It's really a great find! I definitely would not do anything that would cause it to rust and deteriorate - including painting your wonderful find!

• Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells

I vote for Robin's idea. I like the hanging lamp idea too if you have a tall ceiling. If you don't ave a tall ceiling, I don't think it would look good on a standard 8 ft. ceiling.

• Linda Weeks
    Linda Weeks

wow, I think you oughta keep it in the original finish, but golly, all the stuff you could do with it! Wonder how much he paid for it? ;-)

• Tobey McCool
    Tobey McCool

Does it sit flat, make it a table bottom, or turn it into a funky light

• White Oak Studio Designs
    White Oak Studio Designs

I agree. This would make a fantastic one of a kind light. Maybe placing it in a corner where a lot of light isn't an issue - for ambiance. Would look funky and great over a pool table too!

• Leona Zentner
    Leona Zentner

It's an antique and many people have the other parts , but not this one. Maybe you could sell it to someone who needs that part to complete their gramaphone. I just hate to see pieces of antique's repurposed if there's a chance that someone could make something whole again. I know I'm kinda weird like that, but I just like to see antique things put back together if possible, but if not a garden feature or a lamp sounds nice.Good luck and please show us what you decide to do with it.

• Sandy Harmon
    Sandy Harmon

the end secured into a length of pipe (painted and distressed to blend), some kind of base, and wired to make a torchiere floor lamp. one of a kind.

• Michelle Gibbar
    Michelle Gibbar

I see a giant yard art in works. Create a metal base as the stem and attach the "flower" to the base. No need to change the color. Let nature take its course!

• Linda T
    Linda T

Get one of those weighty sun umbrella bases, preferably ornate, stand the horn in and get a round, beveled piece of plate glass. Voila! Coffee table, always seen. Always in use.

• Kim Dagenais
    Kim Dagenais

Wow you have so many ideas to choose from. I vision it as a floor lamp. You would have to create some kind of base made of metal or wood. The wiring job might be tricky. Do you think you could drill through the thickness of it? If so, after you have created the base of your selection, and added the wiring with light socket, I would measure and drill all kinds of holes in a neat design around the flute to let the light show through. It would look super awesome as a floor lamp, or as a ceiling shade especially at night. Can't wait to see what idea you finally decide on and the finished product.

• Dflawson
    Dflawson

Love the hanging light idea!

• Lynn5280
    Lynn5280

looks awfully big to be a gramophone. I think it's sitting in a high chair

• Sarieno
    Sarieno

Why not make it the center of a water feature and have the hose come up the center.You could even put it on a timer and water your garden.

• Jean DeSavage
    Jean DeSavage

I would attach it to a box for in the garden, and make a "record" of flowers, to make it look like an old vitrola. I believe that is what the bell shape item is from. You know like the record player with the RCA dog?

• Mary Smith
    Mary Smith

!d put in the yard and plant beautiful flowers in it!

• Denise
    Denise

stick it in the ground as a bird bath surround by flowering plants

• Linda Thomas
    Linda Thomas

I think u should turn it upside down with the big part on the bottom ( like it could be the skirt) wrap styrofoam around it and make it a Christmas tree and every holiday you can make it a different kind of tree. Easter, valentine like that.

• Paula
    Paula

Put it into some kind of small base and put a small "bubbler" fountain pump in it. It would be a beautiful bird bath.

• Kim L
    Kim L

Yes - I'd SURELY hate to have to clean ANY of those!!! I remember very well that my uncle would go to my great grandmother's house, cover everything in the dining room with heavy cloths and spray several cans of something or other on her giant chandelier that hung above the dining table and what a mess that was!!! Sure wish we had kept that chandelier - it would have been worth a FORTUNE today!!

• Retro Steam Works
    Retro Steam Works

I'd say the light would be the best option. A planter would hide the real beauty of the piece. I think it would look best as a pendant, depending how big it is and how tall your ceiling is.

• Mary Thorne
    Mary Thorne

Looks like a huge petunia! Make a green PVC or wooden stem, paint the piece red and watch the hummers!

• Summer Godfrey
    Summer Godfrey

I would fill it with water and put some flowers to flow inside. The problem is that you occasionally have to change the flowers. So your husband have to take the responsibility for his bid and to buy you flowers more often :)

• Crafty2you
    Crafty2you

I agree with Linda T, it would make a beautiful coffee table. Use a large weighty vase , pour plaster of paris in the vase, let the plaster set, until it is still pliable, and push the bottom of the horn in the plaster, only long enough to form a mold. Take it out immediately and let dry. Clean the horn where plaster remains, before it sets up. Let plaster harden, and put the horn in the molded area of the plaster and vase. Use glass on top, as Linda T suggested. You would have to work fairly fast with plaster, because it usually sets up within 30 mins. I know I have misspelled (plaster of paris or said it wrong, but you get the idea).

• Nancy Fiedler
    Nancy Fiedler

creating on the fly....2 ideas.....for outside....#1 hang it upside down.(to keep the water out)...hang metal musical notes coming fro the center as a wind chime....#2 hang it sideways, or tipped up about 45', use stiff wire to suspend metal musical notes...as tho they are coming out of it and give it to a music teacher...I know just the one...sell the thing to me!! I WILL be watching for one of these.....

• Connie Smith
    Connie Smith

Wow I have been so busy with Christmas and helping with my granddaughters that I have not had a chance to look on line.. I want to say thank you to all that have made some very kind and great suggestions.. I have a guy interested in the piece as it is. I amy sell... If not it will more than likely be a hanging lamp under my porch that has ceiling of 15ft high... with ceiling fans on each side.. I don't want it to get wet, it is thin metal and would not last long. The piece is not heavy enough to hold anything.. like a table top. Thanks so much for all your excellent comments and ideas..

• DLynne
    DLynne

I agree it looks like a huge petunia or trumpet vine flower. I'd cut some leaves out of tin and gather some galvanized pipe and paint it all to make a yard sculpture out of it.

• Connie Smith
    Connie Smith

THIS IS A WARNING TO EVERYONE OF YOU LADIES OUT THERE... PLEASE READ THIS.. I had a guy come on my site and was interested in this piece as is. He sent me several messages. I finally gave him a price and he ask if I would take $20 less. I sent him a message and said sure. He gave me his number, but with the recent Craigslist killing I want to be sure and keep this business safe. I told him he could call my hubs and gave him a number and I have not heard one thing back from him... TURNS MY STOMACH.. I COULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT IN A TRAP.. PLEASE PLEASE BE SAFE LADIES..

• Kim Geoffroy
    Kim Geoffroy

I would definately use it in the garden, perhaps painted with some verdegris paint and give it central billing in a garden. Great find!

• Bunny Fisher
    Bunny Fisher

I would make a hanging light out of it :)

• Linda T
    Linda T

Talking of cutting leaves, I feel that in the past, I have seen a copper water fall feature with large 'spade-like' leaves, that would look wonderful with the 'trumpet vine' flower attached.

• Tanya Hough
    Tanya Hough

I would put it large side down and turn it into a lamp.