From Closet to Mudroom

We recently converted a closet area in our back entry off of the kitchen to a mudroom, and it works so much better for us. When we moved into our ten-year-old house last year, we struggled with the small entry area for a while. We removed the flimsy closet doors that were taking up valuable space when they were open, and that made the more user friendly. However, we just knew we could do some DIY
from closet to mudroom, closet, foyer
Once we decided to do the project, we tore out the drywall and structure from the old closet. To give the area more of a mudroom feel, we added board and batten to the walls and painted it Pure White like the rest of the wood in our home.
from closet to mudroom, closet, foyer
This is a before photo showing what the area looked like before we began the project. I know......it's not pretty. We did all of the work ourselves except the drywall and installing an additional ceiling light. Drywall needs to be perfect, and hiring that chore out was well worth the expense.
from closet to mudroom, closet, foyer
Now we have a space for our shoes, coats, bags, pet treats, and items that we use infrequently. Although we don't plan to move any time soon, we think this project added value to our home. We now have an actual mudroom rather than an entry with a closet.
from closet to mudroom, closet, foyer
We added plenty of hooks so that we and our toddler all have several to use. Who knew that hooks could make me so happy??? If this is project you have thought about doing, I say go for it. You will be so glad that you did. Please visit our blog to get more explanation on the project: http://the2seasons.com/2017/02/20/the-closet-becomes-a-mudroom/
The 2 Seasons