Chest of Drawers Before and After

This little chest of drawers was cute but in rough shape and missing a drawer. So I gutted it and turned into the cutest little farmhouse display cabinet.
This piece came out of an old barn that my neighbor let me pick through. I knew it had good bones but it needed lots of work.
After storing it for months with no inspiration, finally a light bulb went off. I decided to completely gut the whole thing since I was missing a drawer anyway and add shelving and then open frame doors to complete the look I was going for.
After my woodworker completed this phase I had no idea how I was going to finish the piece. My first thought was to sell it as a quilt display piece which had been my idea all along but in the midst of things I was really in need of a cute piece to add to a guest suite that we are in the process of opening and this guy was the perfect size.
Don't you just love when you are scrolling through IG and inspiration literally just jumps out and grabs you?! Well, that was the case when I saw this gorgeous cabinet made over by @junkstyledesign. I knew instantly that I needed to recreate this piece for our "Master Suite".
After several coats of Kilz and chalk, I painted with Linen White chalk paint by Rustoleam's Chalked line, distressed and sealed. I then stained the inside and doors with Minwax Provincial. After the stain was dry, I poly'ed the stained areas and added spray painted chicken wire to the inside of the doors and topped it with twine pulls from Hobby Lobby. The outcome?
One of my favorite pieces to date! The perfect amount of farmhouse charm.

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home

To see more: http://www.junkloveboutique.com

• Mollee

do you have a detailed step by step directions for this project?

• Pbkmeme

So cute and smart!

• Kat

I absolutely adore your creation. It would look perfect in our little farmhouse. I have a question. I've seen some people that after cleaning the wood, they paint the chalk paint straight on the piece then seal or wax it. Is it absolutely necessary to paint it with Kilz 1st? Thank you for your help.

• Carmen Craig

I have a very similar piece I redid, also missing 2 drawers. I first sanded (I thought well enough), then stained a charcoal, then when I applied white chalk paint an ugly yellowish tint came out of the woodwork! It was terrible, that is how I learned that the tannins in the wood will turn yellow if not primed first. Plus, the primer helps the paint stick, especially if you don't sand first.

• Leap of Faith

Love this idea! I just shared one using one drawer. I have another chest with no drawers and I think I’ll be using your idea. Thank you for sharing❤️

• Roxi

Wonderful ideas.