Chest of Drawers Before and After

This little chest of drawers was cute but in rough shape and missing a drawer. So I gutted it and turned into the cutest little farmhouse display cabinet.
chest of drawers before and after, painted furniture
This piece came out of an old barn that my neighbor let me pick through. I knew it had good bones but it needed lots of work.
After storing it for months with no inspiration, finally a light bulb went off. I decided to completely gut the whole thing since I was missing a drawer anyway and add shelving and then open frame doors to complete the look I was going for.
After my woodworker completed this phase I had no idea how I was going to finish the piece. My first thought was to sell it as a quilt display piece which had been my idea all along but in the midst of things I was really in need of a cute piece to add to a guest suite that we are in the process of opening and this guy was the perfect size.
Don't you just love when you are scrolling through IG and inspiration literally just jumps out and grabs you?! Well, that was the case when I saw this gorgeous cabinet made over by @junkstyledesign. I knew instantly that I needed to recreate this piece for our "Master Suite".
After several coats of Kilz and chalk, I painted with Linen White chalk paint by Rustoleam's Chalked line, distressed and sealed. I then stained the inside and doors with Minwax Provincial. After the stain was dry, I poly'ed the stained areas and added spray painted chicken wire to the inside of the doors and topped it with twine pulls from Hobby Lobby. The outcome?
One of my favorite pieces to date! The perfect amount of farmhouse charm.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 10, 2018 11:16 PM - More info

3 questions on this project
  • Glenda Smith
    Jan 21, 2018

Can you use this outside and what weatherproofs it?

• Sue Peet
    Jan 19, 2018

Good day! What did you do with the drawers?

• Rwl32446243
    Jan 19, 2018

This looks like a beginner like me could possibly do! How do you distress the cabinet after you've chalk painted it? And what wood was used for the door? Thank you!

• Kay
      Jan 22, 2018

Hi Rwim, you lightly sand the paint back a little. When finnished, you seal it off. Some Home Talkers use waxes, some use spray or paint sealers. Karen to Work with your Hands is a Home talker, plus she has her own web site, Creatively, to Work with my Hands. She is an orthorative on this. Check out her web site. Hope this is usefull Kay Adelaide Australia ☺