Mason Jar Candles

$20

Okay, I've been obsessed with these candles when I saw Caitlin's from DIY with Caitlin's live. I had to make them myself!
First thing is to make your box for your mold. Choose what jar you'd like to make a mold of and measure out 1/2 and inch from each side.
Next, cut and tape all the sides together. Make sure to use duct or packing tape for this part. Then hot glue the box to a base of cardboard. Make sure not to leave any holes open.

Next, you'll hot glue the lid onto you jar. This step is important so none of the mold gets inside your jar. After that, you can hot glue your jar upside down to the base of the box.
Here is the fun part! Mix together your silicone pack. I got mine off of Amazon for less than $30. Be sure to mix these two parts at the same time until they turn a shade of purple.
On an angle, put the mixture into your box. Start pouring on an angle to avoid any air bubbles.
After waiting about 6 hours for your mold to dry, begin peeling off your cardboard.
Once all the cardboard is off, cut a zigzag into the mold to release the jar. It's SUPER important to cut a zigzag not straight down so your wax can't escape.
Next, you'll want to tape your mold back together. I used duct tape for a strong hold and rubber bands to ensure the cut was totally back together seamlessly.

You can then insert your wick. I kept it stable by placing it between two skewers.
You can then melt you wax in your double boiler. I used paraffin wax because it hold color and scent well. To dye my wax, I used a small piece of a crayon. **Follow the instructions on your wax for what temperature to add in your scent and color.
Once my wax was melted and the color was evenly distributed, I took it off the burner and carefully poured it into the mold.
After letting your wax completely cool remove the tape and pull out your candle. This was the most satisfying moment of the project by far! (:
I am 100% totally IN LOVE with the way this came out. It looks amazing with my rustic-chic decor in my apartment. I've already received multiple request from my co-workers to make them one too! I think I've found my new hobby... 🤔
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Laura

Can the samw mold be used more than once?

• Kristin Powell

I did not make this, but yes you can reuse a silicone mold.

• Barb in Texas

It looks like you can, if you're careful about pulling it apart to remove the candle. It looks like she took the duct tape off completely.

• Kara S.

Yes! I've made 4 candles so far with the same mold and they all came out perfect!

• Lindajfleming

Can you use something cheaper for the mold...perhaps plaster or hot glue? Love the idea but could get expensive. Any ideas out there?

• Margaret Lewis

How about just pouring the wax into the jar? I find canning jars at almost every garage/estate sale I go to, and they are cheap!

• Sharon Harrison

I wondered the same thing! It looks really nice but as you burn it, you lose the "jar" whereas if you just poured the wax into a real jar you could just add more wax!

• Rebecca Babbitt

Gelatine can be used in mold making, the process is too long to explain here, but is easily found online. Look for gelatine molds for chocolate (not sure what temp melted wax is, chocolate is between 90 and 100f.) I've also used Alginate, the material used in making molds of teeth for braces and such. It is easy to use....I bet the material in the project description is easiestill, though!

• Lindajfleming

But at $30.? I like Margaret's idea of just pouring it into the jar and then I'd break it to remove the candle. I saw a box a my thrift store that was full of all sizes of Mason jars for 10 cents each. THANX!!!

• Jonell Loeffler

If you pour the wax into the jar and then break it, you won't have any detail as the detail is on the outside of the jar not on the inside.

• Dianna

the mold you make from the kit is reusable. It should last a long time.

• Jewellmartin

These remind me of the little fruit tarts that are completely candle wax, with scent added. Are these made in silicone (or metal) molds? I'm still not getting that much cost and wax to make jar candles when jars are so cheap and trendy now, and easily painted with chalk paint.

• I think I would just pour wax into the "really cheap" ball jar, ( or any jar)and burn it. You can always reuse the jar for another candle. I'm fine without the "mold" and the expense.

• LABrown

I think this is so much cooler than just pouring wax into the jar. It gives the rustic mason jar candle a modern vibe that I love. As for alternatives, I'm not aware of another at home mold making option for candles. Plaster is too porous to use with wax, though it makes awesome molds for slip-casting clay.

• Connie Thornton

Did you say it cost approximately a little under $30 for one Silicone Mold Kit from Amazon?

• Lynn

I found this kit on Amazon: Smooth-On Smooth-Cast 300 Liquid Plastic Compound Smooth-Cast 300 Michaels & Walmart also have silicone making kits.

• Ana Bacallao

Is it reusable?

• LABrown

The molds are reusable. Very clever idea!

• Rita

If the whole thing is a candle than it should be put on or in something for safety?

• Carol

I agree. I would put my fantastic new candle on a pretty decorative plate. You can find sonething nice ones at the Dollar Tree. I never burn any kind of candle unless it sits on a glass dish.

• Kathy Powers

Can the silicone be melted and reused?
    • Deanna R

No, but you can use the mold you made to make more candles (of that same shape) over and over again.

• David Winger

Can the same mold be used over several times?

• Brenda Mahoney

Do you have a recommendation for scenting these clever candles?

• Bri Moody

• add a few drops of your favorite donaTerra essential oil's Some scents are better to add than others . Facebook me @ brimoodymail@gmail.com
  • Kathryn

Can you buy the sillicone pack some where besides Amazon?

• Wendy lanzetta

Can you other things to mold besides a mason jar?

• Joanne Hollingsworth

Can the mold be reused more than once for different colors of the candle?

• Krista Potoczak

Is the silicone -the smooth-on silicone mold making, liquid rubber OOMOO, Easy to use-trial size 2.8 lb?

• Lindajfleming

It was very easy to use but be careful what size you make your box or there might not be enough.
  • Janet Marie Middleton

Can this mold be used more than once?
  • Kayce Harsin-Scott

What size mason jar? And how much wax?
  • Ron Grant

I tried this and followed your directions. The mold material stuck to the jar even after I washed and dried it. Why did the molding material stick to the jar?
    • Donna Lee

Add a little Vaseline around the jar...Not to much...I use this when I'm making molds for Fondant...Hope it helps you !

• Kara S.

It does create a bit of a suction. You have to loosen it up by squeezing it and letting the air in.
    • C. D. Scallan

I've found that nonstick cooking spray works better . I've made candles for years . Spray the jar, wipe off the excess or you will have bubbles in the mold and therefore every candle you make with it.

• Veronica Levchenko

How much candle wax do you use for a pint size jar?
  • Kka22575744

Is it a half inch or an inch on each side?
    • Kara S.

1 inch
    • Lindajfleming

The instructions say a 1/2", also if you make it an 1" larger you will run out of goop (I did on my 1st one & had to reorder making it a $60, candle). Making the box and the ZZZZ cut are the most important points in making this candle.

• Paula Youngblood

For the bottom of the mild do we fill the mold all the way ? To make it flat?
  • Jamie

In the photo where you are peeling the cardboard off the mold, there's clearly a part of the jar that although covered in the mold material isn't completely surrounded by it. What part of the jar is it, how did it wind up like that, and is it?important?
    • Pet4901041

It' the bottom of the jar, since the lid is glued to the bottom of the box.
  • Shelby

What do you put under the candle while it burns?
    • Dixie Schill

a saucer, trivet, etc. even a clay plant saucer. About anything heatproof that you have and like.
  • Lisa Pohlsander

So is the whole "box" made out of cardboard?
    • Damian

Just cardboard on the walls w/Packing Tape and Hot Glue.

• Donnetta Lockhart Husk

Did you only use one kit for the silicone mold ?
    • Sydney Darton

Can you please answer this!? How many the specified amount yields for the $20 in product?
  • Sissy Duck

Can mold be reused for more candles

• Linda Holland

I see the 2 colors mixed for Purple. But the Candle you show is Aqua, was that 2 different candles you made? Beautiful
  • Connie Christianson

Can you use the mold over?
  • Lup29852325

Hi, Do you use styrene powder in your wax? My husband used to make candles, and used it..it makes the candles burn for a very long time....great job, and yes you have defiantly found your new hobby...
  • Damian

Just tried this and did not get the results I expected; at all. Apparently, Oomoo bonds to glass. Smooth-On recommends spraying your "bondable" surface before you use it with their product.

How did everyone else get good results without using a preventative step?
  • Cristina Radu

What is the mix name? What brand,what type??

• Katie Kernagis

How many candles can you make from materials listed?

• Chris Gaines

Look at your wax and estimate how many candles it will make, wax does not expand or shrink. One pound wax should make 2 and a half candles.

• Mary M

beautiful! looks like a fun project with kids. I assume you can use the mold repeatedly?

• Carrie

Can you reuse this mold for multiple candles?