Gerrie Lauritzen
Gerrie Lauritzen
  • Puyallup, WA
Asked on Apr 27, 2017

How do I get rid of slugs who steel outside cat food ?

Lynn SorrellOlivaJohnavallance82
+12

• you can try a number of things like placing broken egg shells around the bowl (the slugs don't like the scratchy surface) or coarse salt (which burns the slugs). I would be hesitant about using beer traps because your cats might partake.
  • Itsmemic

well, hate to say it but don't leave cat food outside . especially at night when slugs abound. You can also, put a dish of beer next to the food if you insist on feeding at night. The slugs love beer..and drown in it.

Apply food grade diatomsoeous earth around or corn meal.
  • Virginia Thomas

I would not leave the cat food outside to begin with, but if it is a must, try a salt line or a dish with beer in it.
    • Elaine

Hi Virginia: I was also going to suggest a dish of beer but was wondering if the cats would try to drink it and thus, become ill .... or worse!
  • Elaine

Do you simply have to leave cat food outside? :(

Is it outside because you are feeding strays? In which case, I applaud your kindness but if it's for your own cats, I'd definitely feed them inside due to the safety of their food and keeping flies and other insects off their dishes. Whatever you do finally decide on spreading around to deter slugs, make sure it's safe for the cats.
    • Rebecca Silvey

Do all of you saying about outside feeding, obviously you haven't considered ones having allergic reactions to cats being inside. My reason is that they are strays but tend to think our place is home, do I feed them.
  • Allison McKean

I've used copper wire around my garden to keep slugs out. Maybe a copper bowl that is lined or a copper pie plate to set the cat food bowl in? Nighttime feeding will bring more than slugs, so you may want to take the food up when you go to bed.
  • Lori King

Don't leave food out. We put bowls inside utility bldg when their done eating
  • Elaine

hi Rebecca: As I said before, if they are strays you are feeding, I applaud your kindness! I really hope someone else can come up with an answer re the slugs.

When I had an invasion of them on my Hostas (plants), I tried placing crushed eggshells around the base of the plants, but it didn't work. I also tried copper (some people have luck) but the slugs I had just crawled over it and still contined to chew up my Hostas.

Again, I admire and thank you for feeding the poor strays. I did the very same thing when I lived in a house but had no trouble with slugs.
  • Johnavallance82

Don't feed cat outside or take in at night or get from Pet store Feeder with lid that has a pressure pad to lift it as cat aproaches.
  • Oliva

Agricultural grade diatomaceous Earth, sprinkled at perimeter should slice open slug's body.

Bring cat food in at night. You risk attracting skunks and rodents, which won't make you any friends.

• Lynn Sorrell

Put the cat food bowl inside another dish filled with water just a shallow one. keeps ants,slugs,cockroaches from eating it. I teach people TNR & to care for outside,strays,free roaming & feral cats. Please micro-chip and most of all get them their shots & SPAY & NEUTER them