How do I get rid of slugs who steel outside cat food ?

+24
  • you can try a number of things like placing broken egg shells around the bowl (the slugs don't like the scratchy surface) or coarse salt (which burns the slugs). I would be hesitant about using beer traps because your cats might partake.
  • Itsmemic Itsmemic on Apr 27, 2017
    well, hate to say it but don't leave cat food outside . especially at night when slugs abound. You can also, put a dish of beer next to the food if you insist on feeding at night. The slugs love beer..and drown in it.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 27, 2017
    Apply food grade diatomsoeous earth around or corn meal.
  • Virginia Thomas Virginia Thomas on Apr 27, 2017
    I would not leave the cat food outside to begin with, but if it is a must, try a salt line or a dish with beer in it.
    • Elaine Elaine on Sep 13, 2017
      Hi Virginia: I was also going to suggest a dish of beer but was wondering if the cats would try to drink it and thus, become ill .... or worse!
  • Elaine Elaine on Apr 27, 2017
    Do you simply have to leave cat food outside? :(

Is it outside because you are feeding strays? In which case, I applaud your kindness but if it's for your own cats, I'd definitely feed them inside due to the safety of their food and keeping flies and other insects off their dishes. Whatever you do finally decide on spreading around to deter slugs, make sure it's safe for the cats.
    • See 1 previous
    • Monica Koerperich Monica Koerperich on Apr 04, 2019

Strays that come between 6p and 8p. I started feeding them cause they would watch through window at my cats being fed. I felt bad.

• Allison Allison on Apr 27, 2017
    I've used copper wire around my garden to keep slugs out. Maybe a copper bowl that is lined or a copper pie plate to set the cat food bowl in? Nighttime feeding will bring more than slugs, so you may want to take the food up when you go to bed.
    • See 1 previous
    • Allison Allison on Apr 05, 2019

I used copper wire, which works greats, but having to clean the tarnish off every year was a hassle. Copper tape, 1/4 inch, on a 1x2 frame would work much better for feeding cats. Just put the food inside the frame. The tape is inexpensive, (check Amazon) so replacing it every year won't destroy your budget. The copper gives slugs and snails a zing when their slime comes in contact with it, it's unpleasant, so they avoid it.

• Lori King Lori King on Apr 27, 2017
    Don't leave food out. We put bowls inside utility bldg when their done eating
  • Elaine Elaine on Sep 13, 2017
    hi Rebecca: As I said before, if they are strays you are feeding, I applaud your kindness! I really hope someone else can come up with an answer re the slugs.

When I had an invasion of them on my Hostas (plants), I tried placing crushed eggshells around the base of the plants, but it didn't work. I also tried copper (some people have luck) but the slugs I had just crawled over it and still contined to chew up my Hostas.

Again, I admire and thank you for feeding the poor strays. I did the very same thing when I lived in a house but had no trouble with slugs.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 29, 2018
    Don't feed cat outside or take in at night or get from Pet store Feeder with lid that has a pressure pad to lift it as cat aproaches.
  • Oliva Oliva on Nov 23, 2018

Agricultural grade diatomaceous Earth, sprinkled at perimeter should slice open slug's body.

Bring cat food in at night. You risk attracting skunks and rodents, which won't make you any friends.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Nov 23, 2018

Put the cat food bowl inside another dish filled with water just a shallow one. keeps ants,slugs,cockroaches from eating it. I teach people TNR & to care for outside,strays,free roaming & feral cats. Please micro-chip and most of all get them their shots & SPAY & NEUTER them

I like your solution best. Water used as deterrent.

• Ellis Ellis on Apr 05, 2019

Put the cat food on a slight elevation, perhaps on a board held above the ground on some bricks. And bring the cat food in at night, as others said. Slugs can slither really high--I've seen trails several feet up the glass door.

• Cindy Cindy on Aug 22, 2019

The bowl in a bowl should work. It creates a moat around the food boat that most slugs and some insects won't cross. Also, you might try different bowls. We used a metal one and the slugs were all over it every day, but when we used ceramic, they were not. Thanks for feeding the strays.

• Leah Leah on Mar 04, 2020

I had the same problem but found a humane solution. I save empty pots to feed the ferals and found that certain ones fit perfectly under my cats feeding dishes creating a mushroom shape so the slugs cannot get to the cat food. I will post a photo if possible, may not work for everyone but works for me.

• Krisann HuggyBear Lewis Krisann HuggyBear Lewis on Aug 04, 2020

I have been feeding feral cats so I can trap and have them fixed. Plan to continue feeding them after that, but hopefully limit their population. A water moat was not enough for the ants. I had to add soap to keep the ants out. But it still does not keep the slugs out. And it is really gross to clean up. And a lot of food waste. I will try the upside down ceramic pot idea (not sure if cats will reach it without breaking the pot) and see about getting some copper tape. I have been feeding in the morning, but the cats have been coming at night. By then it is pretty infested. I may start feeding in early evening instead.

• Mogie Mogie on Aug 04, 2020

I started bringing my cat food inside at night. We had raccoons, skunks and a few other critters snacking on it at night.

• Shel Shel on Nov 01, 2020

How do the cats eat the food with the slugs on it?

• Roseann Roseann on Nov 16, 2020

I love my feral cats and will do what needs to be done to see that they are fed.  I have been taking care of them for as long as I remember. Other than using salt all around I would love to find a solution to slugs. They are so yuk!🤢 I found a way to keep food from skunks, Fox, etc and that was putting the cat food in window sills, but somehow eventually the slugs found there way. If anyone else has a solution that doesn’t involve keeping food in at night, please let us cat lovers know. Thank You 🙏🏻