Completely renovating 1980s 850 sq ft condo on a budget. Ideas?

Miranda RightSharonBarb
+20

I am renovating and plan to replace flooring/appliances and will paint kitchen cabinets. Repurposing is relaxing for me so looking for ideas on:
. replacing or updating louvered closet doors
. updating sliding plain closet doors
. window treatments including sliding patio door
. small sized built in storage cabinets
. bathroom vanities from old furniture
. disguising floral border tile in shower
. anything else that will give this space new life.

Thank you for your help!
Closet Doors
Louvered Doors
  • Alexis
    Alexis

On your closet door, consider replacing them with two doors that open from the middle. You will gain easier access to the closet andcan possibly re-evaluate your hanging possibilities. Use a ball catch at the top so you just pull to open and then add trim molding all around

if you are replacing flooring now would be the time to upgrade from the builder baseboards and add door molding. you have bring this out of the 80s Pass on using any wall to wall carpeting In Fl. Tile or hardwood is the way to go. Even tho your place is small think big in flooring choices no smaller than 18 x 18 tile or for a much newer look use the rectangle tiles 12x24. Home depot or Lowes have them at good prices. Oh and use the same flooring throughout the condo and use area rugs for designated areas

you could try painting tile with approximate paint OR you cold try removing the the border and replace withe a newer mosaic type tile. I would think that with the age of the unit it wouldn't be too hard to grind out the border
  • 2dogal
    2dogal

If your plans are to sell the condo, I would be cautious about putting too much of your own taste in it. Clean, bright and light is the way to go.
    I would leave the sliding closet doors as they blend into the wall as this is not a large condo.
    Replace the louvered doors with sliding closet doors to match the others.
    You can buy ceramic tile paint for your shower.
    Everyone has their own taste in window treatments. The easiest is just vinyl blinds - including the sliding patio doors. That gives privacy until the new owner decides want look he/she wants.
    If you build storage cabinets, that will take away from floor space and limit furniture placement.....Maybe a closet interior makeover would suffice.
    A medium color laminate flooring flowing throughout the condo would look great And yes, replacing appliances with new is always a selling point.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

Whatever you choose to do, do the floors first. If it is a common flooring you can do it a room at a time. This way you can finish one room and it will keep you going seeing how much better it looks than it did before. It will also show you if it is a look you want to keep going through out the condo. It is easier to budget room by room and don't have the whole condo ripped apart either.
  • Pri4759878
    Pri4759878

Anything you can imagine, you can do
    , Tiled top buffet, Glass tile on painted dresser
  • Susan Bechamp
    Susan Bechamp

When dealing with the louvered closet door, does this closet need the ventilation those doors provide? If not, a standard style door should work. If the closet needs ventilation to keep musty odors/mildew/mold at bay, perhaps replacing the louvers with something else would suffice. I'm thinking caning or an open weave, even metal wire panels with an interesting weave you could do yourself. Thin layers of different shaped/sized wood could give an artistic and sculptural look to flat panel doors so long as they still work smoothly. Another option: the wallpaper that is textured and paintable could be used effectively on your doors.
    For the vanity: how much room do you have to work with? Do you have additional storage in the bathroom? Dressers or desks have proven adaptable as have workbenches or tool chests and sewing machine cabinets. Tiny Homes TV show featured a drum turned sink. I saw an upright piano cut down and used as a vanity cabinet in an antique store. Instead of a pedestal sink, how about a birdbath for the basin? Repurpose an entertainment center or TV armoire to house the sink and provide storage in a large bathroom.
  • Ili
    Ili

Are you selling or keeping??? ... I will go just to basics, first things first....flooring, baseboards, paint (nothing too personal if selling, just basic classic colors, I like tan rather than gray, that comes and goes.....little by little, the condo will speak to you...what if buyers don't care about furniture for sinks in the bathroom, stick with pedestal or nice cabinet...Have fun
    • Teri.jeffrey
      Teri.jeffrey

Keeping but won't go too crazy as I don't want to effect resale. Never know when life will change. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Diana Deiley
    Diana Deiley

Oh my friend, first make a list of what you like most, the style and colors. Paint is the least expensive update you can give yourself. I suggest Valspar's Oyster Pearl. It's the perfect light neutral color that is warm and inviting I have personally used in my home. Start with one room and only one room then move on to the next. It won't be so overwhelming that way. Kitchen cabinets can be repainted & with new hardware you'll have that new look. Bathrooms can be changed out also with the help of Habitat resale sinks, toilets and tile. Bedrooms are easy....new or newer linens can brighten up the room making it comfy & cozy. Doors can be changed immediately with a coat of paint. ie: paint all doors black, keep trim semi gloss white. Seriously, visit your local thrift stores. I purchased a beautiful wooden bedroom set for $55.00 complete. (Almost fainted!) Best of luck.
    , 55 00 Bedroom set
  • Grace Robertson
    Grace Robertson

On the doors, would you consider pocket doors? I have them in my house and I love them.
    • Teri.jeffrey
      Teri.jeffrey

I have them in the bathroom but hadn't thought about using them elsewhere. Good idea. Thank you.
  • Teresa C
    Teresa C

I would purchase the peel and stick painted ship lap look and place it on the sliders. The louvers I would leave as is. Everyone is into wood floors and I have had the white tile that is on your floors. Have you considered the Weathered wood tile to replace flooring?
  • Barb
    Barb

Here are a few ideas and photo to help with your projects🏖
    , Add over head trim, Classy, Timeless, Perfect for no window treatments and private when needed and great for sunny mornings
  • Sharon
    Sharon

For the floral tub border, Rustoleum and Homex made a Tub and Tile paint
    For all those sliding closet doors,..my favorite apartment had sliding shoji screens but instead of ricepaper they used heavy fiberglass paper. I repaired one door and got the fiberglass paper at Tap Plastics.
    For inexpensive curtains and bedding have you looked at www.brylanehome.com
  • Miranda Right
    Miranda Right

Is it a Do It Yourself project? If yes, go on Pinterest and find ideas there. But personally I would prefer to hire profesionals to renovate condo as it is a time and effort consuming job